Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2004, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Cow Manure Teapot

I was just reading this forum, and the thought occurred to me, I might share my cow manure teapot with you folks.

Go to http://www.covenantacres.com/CowManureTeapot.html

There you can read the instructions on it.

I also grow catfish in a barrel, and it too has a spigot at the bottom, and I take the dregs out of the barrel about every few days, and pour it into the cow manure teapot.

I add molasses, and a bit of yeast as well.

Anyway, you might want to peruse the site as well, with the understanding that it is still a beta site, and only about 1/4 done at 125 megs of info on old style ways of living.

Best Regards,

Kuletule (Dennis)
Old 04-09-2004, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea, but can I suggest a couple of things to improve the tea.

1. Never use fresh animal manure in a tea brewer. The tea brewer will grow the disease causing microbes as well as the beneficials. If you compost the manure to the point where it smells great through and through, then at that point all the pathogens are dead and only beneficial (sweet smelling) microbes are left. The only difference between what you are doing now and my suggestion is the time between the animal leaving the droppings and you putting them in the tea.

2. You should scrub the insides clean between batches. The microbes in the mix give off a slime that turns to glue when it dries out and hardens. Eventually your spigot won't work. Two cleaners are in common use: chlorine bleach and hydrogen peroxide.

3. If you could pump a lot of air into the bottom of your brewer it would make better tea. A big aquarium air pump is more than adequate for your application.

4. Take the brewer out of the sun. Warm water cannot hold as much oxygen as cold water and your microbes need oxygen to grow. That means when the oxygen is depleted by the combination of warmth and trillions of microbes in the tea, the beneficial microbes will die from oxygen starvation leaving only the disease causing microbes to grow. By pumping air into the batch and keeping the water cool, you at least have a chance of developing the beneficial microbes you want.

Hey folks, this compost tea thing is gaining momemtum.
If you want to get in on the ground floor (highest margins on the ground floor) you have actually missed the elevator. The elevator is already at the second story. But in your neighborhood, you could be the first one in the market. I know of one guy in Austin, Texas who charged $900 to spray 8 acres at an apartment complex with a tea that cost him less than $20 to make and deliver. With a couple deals like that, pretty soon you're talking about real money!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

David,
I agee with you on the benifits and the margins in compost teas'. There are people doing the same thing with worm castings and getting some incredible results.
Dr elaine Ingham at soilfoodweb is a huge advocate.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

DCHall, a couple of questions.....

First, I like the idea of the oxygen.

Second, for application, of another product I make, I use a bit of liquid dish soap, to act as a surfactant, and break the cohesiveness of the water (stops the tendency of beading up), allowing the nutrients to absorb more readily into the plant. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I made a tumbler composter out of a barrel and would like to know if the quicker method of compost will produce the same results, to the tea. Thanks,

Dennis