Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-29-2000, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a John Deere LX172 with a single cylinder 14hp Kawasaki engine (FC420V). It wont start. If you crank it long enough it will pop a little then backfire. I have drained and cleaned the fuel tank and line, cleaned the carburetor bowl, replaced the igniter (small electrical part on the side), replaced the fuel filter, both air filters and the spark plug. I checked the spark and it is good. The fuel pump works. The engine was running great when I put it away several weeks ago. I was using sta-bil in the gas for the last 2 months or so. however, the igniter went out on it about a month ago. The symptoms were the same. It has compression of about 110-120. The tester is old so I don't know how accurate it is. This engine is 10 years old so and this is the first time it won't start (other than the igniter). Maintenance has been performed regularly. Any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2000, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are there any OPC switches that might be broken? Check all your connections, levers and switches. My 14 kawi has done this before and it was an opc switch.
Old 11-29-2000, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I didnít check any of the switches. The dealer told me a switch problem would ground the coil and I would get no spark. As it is it does have spark. It is entirely possible that one of the switches is intermittently grounding the coil so it wont start. A burnt intake valve has also been thrown around but I donít see how that can keep an engine from starting. Any other suggestions. I know Kawasaki is a popular engine now on commercial equipment and I can see why. 10 years and this is the first engine problem.
Old 11-29-2000, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a problem with a 121/2 Kaw. Took it to the shop.
After the mower sat in the warm shop, it started. I had been storing it in a rental unit. Temps in the 20's at night. Anyway....30 weight oil was the problem.
Old 11-30-2000, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It didn't ground mine. I had spark and it would not crank. The switch was broken, and it wasn't making good contact.
Old 12-01-2000, 09:03 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Try using some starting fluid.
Old 12-01-2000, 12:07 PM
Banned

Try changing the oil. My friend had a mower that did teh same thing. I changed the oil for him and it started right up after about 20 pulls. Turns out he put 2-cycle oil in it by accident.
Old 12-01-2000, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried Starting Fluid (ether) but that did not even work. I thought I would get at least a good second or two of running from that but no go. I have never considered that the oil would keep it from starting. The tractor is almost 10 years old and all the safety switches and engine parts are original (except the igniter). I will let everyone know what the shop finds out. Until then if anyone has any other ideas I would like to hear them. Thanks to everyone who has helped out.
Old 12-02-2000, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The oil will NOT keep it from starting. It could cause it to blow up, but has nothing to do with not running. Heck, you can put no oil in it and it could start.
Old 12-02-2000, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When the oil is thick as mud it wont start. Been there.
You 65Hoss?