Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-02-2000, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but he never mentioned it being hard to pull. True, that would indicate the oil. But from what MattG said, I get the impression that it is one of the safety switches.
Old 12-02-2000, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thick oil will keep it from starting,it happens a lot,especially on single cyl engines even more so,because they only fire every other revolution.If either doesnt get it lit off,and the plug isnt wet,try putting a space heater near it and let it warm up,But even so it should run on either.
Old 12-04-2000, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try removing the safety switches from their connection to the engine. I believe the connect on the right side of the engine if facing from operator's position. Make sure the it's not grounding out via the kill switch wire which is in the rear of the engine. See if it will start with all possible groundings removed. If it still doesn't then the electrical stuff isn't your problem.
Old 12-04-2000, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, check the linkage on the throttle and make sure when it's choked the little screw pushes the choke level, not just touching it. The throttle cable could be damaged or bent and not moving the throttle assembly into choke mode. I've had that problem on my 12.5 & 14's
Old 12-05-2000, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

PULL the plug, squirt several drops of gasoline into the cylinder and replace the plug. if it fires several times and then quits, you know you got a fuel delivery problem.

that particular motor is quite cold natured. I think they probably are. on mine, when temp is below 50 degrees, I pull the starter, nothing happens. pull again, one pop. pull again two pops. pull a third time and it will usually go.

GEO
Old 12-08-2000, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Verdict is in.....?

Thanks to everyone for their comments. The repair shop called. The engine has a burnt exhaust valve. They are going to replace both valves. It is an extra $10 for the intake valve. Apparently my failure to properly clean the cooling fins under the shroud caused it to overheat and burn the valve. Does this sound right? Moral of the story. Go clean your cooling fins. Any comments are still appreciated