Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2004, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Help ME PLEASE !!!

Need some advice I want to start my own company. I have my operator license ,spray unit , spreader, mower brand new full size truck and all the eqipment that I need. I have been in the lawn business for 10 yrs and have the knowledge but I don't have the time to go get the customers. Should I risk everything and quit my job and go out and get them? Will I make enough to cover my current bills of 1600.00 I want to quit my job because i don't see a future with working for someone. On my own I think I could make a killing. I have made some flyers and posted them locally but no calls yet . Need some advice Guys
Old 04-10-2004, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I started 3 yrs ago. I passed flyers. I got a few customers. When they saw the results, they referred me to their friends, and so on. It has snowballed from there. I won't lie... the first year it was hand to mouth. It takes time. I now have 250 customers. I have never advertised, yellow pages etc... Strictly word of mouth. If you can work part time at your current job, change shifts or something like that, it would make the transition easier!
Old 04-10-2004, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Word of mouth only got me a couple customers, once I advertised in the paper(nice 1/4 page adds) I saw more results, to get the people you have to advertise
Old 04-10-2004, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am working at radio shack on a full time basis and still find some time to go out and get jobs for mowing. I have got 25 accounts right now and every extra second i have i am handing out flyers. Keep em going out. You have to have some time whether in the morning or at night.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Newspaper ads are expensive. However, they do work for a mowing type business. I strictly do fertilization and weed control. Flyers worked best for me in the beginning. (first year) After that, like I said...snowball. I forgot to mention that I work a full time job. 24 hrs on, 48 off. I do the lawn care on my days off.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by weedboy
Newspaper ads are expensive. However, they do work for a mowing type business. I strictly do fertilization and weed control.
how many mowing customers did you pick up with your ad?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Like I said, I haven't used the newspaper. I passed flyers door to door in neighborhoods. Flyers are cheap( you can do them on your computer). And , if you don't have that many accounts, you have time to pass them. You've got to get out and pound the pavement to build it up. I got a yellow page ad this year. I'm going to be interested to see how that works out. lawnboy33 sounds like he has a game plan. He's just worried about sticking his neck out. I know how he feels. Been there...done that!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say don't quit your day job yet. You should be able to squeeze in a couple hours each day working to build your business. Especially with the amount of clients you'll need to go full time, I'd either switch to a part time job, and go at the lawn business with more effort, or start small, and give it a couple years to grow. Don't rush it, but be persistent. Customers will come in time, if you do quality work. There's a lot more to running the business than mowing the lawns, so work on those things until you get more work to be done.
Good luck with it
Old 04-12-2004, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you ever thought of this? I am a Real Estate investor and Mortgage loan officer and I have been thinking about buying a Lawn Care business to meet homeowners. You could use my tactic in reverse.

Who would better know homeowners than Realtors and Loan Officers? How about contacting one (Preferable one that you have a prior relationship with) and ask them if they are interested in doing a “Cross Endorsement” You would send a letter to all your current clients endorsing them (the Realtor) and they would send a letter to all their clients endorsing you (the lawn care guy).

I have a few sample letters if you are interested.

Just trying to keep thinking outside the box. If you where in the San Diego area I would be happy to do this exercise with you.

Woods
Old 04-12-2004, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

hey woods that sounds like a good idea i would like to see the letters and to everybody else thinks for the opinions