Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2004, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done a mulch job that took over 200 yards. It's not unusual on a large residential or even commercial site.

I too, would look at a blower, and plan on going back to smooth out the mulch afterward. I have yet to see a blower put mulch on the ground as smooth as I can rake it....

Dan
Old 04-17-2004, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A semi is a hundred yard truck-

Find one and have them bring two trips.

In the meantime you have to figure out where you will stage it and how to break it up into spreadable units.

Don't be surprised if after you crunch all the numbers you find you can't be more competitive on two hundred yards any less than your twenty yard price.......

Only way this could be good for you since you arent' in the habit of doing hundred yard jobs on a fairly steady basis?

Is if it's a mobile home or Manufacturd Home place that a big blower can't mobilize- then you can just give a your twenty yard price per yard and do it.

I call it like I see it. Sorry.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses to my question. Sorry I have not had a chance to get back to the site to read the last few postings recently. I want to respond to dvmcmrhp52 and kris about the amount of mulch and how I determined it. Truthful, I would love to have someone tell me if I am doing this right. This was for a commercial office building. I took the drawings and measured each area (scale of 1:10) to come up with the total square footage (length X width). 6 parking aisles totaling 3780, street yard of 5800, areas bordering woods, 9680, and side area, 1940. Total sq. footage 21200 divided by 100 for 212 cubic yards of mulch. Does that sound right?? Best price I could find was $12.50 for double ground hardwood mulch. What would you guys have priced that as??? Also remember, this was only the mulch. Total bid included plants, trees, grass, mulch, soil conditioner and installation. I don't think I will get the job. My bid will be to high. Thanks for you input.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen@hilltop
Thanks for the responses to my question. Sorry I have not had a chance to get back to the site to read the last few postings recently. I want to respond to dvmcmrhp52 and kris about the amount of mulch and how I determined it. Truthful, I would love to have someone tell me if I am doing this right. This was for a commercial office building. I took the drawings and measured each area (scale of 1:10) to come up with the total square footage (length X width). 6 parking aisles totaling 3780, street yard of 5800, areas bordering woods, 9680, and side area, 1940. Total sq. footage 21200 divided by 100 for 212 cubic yards of mulch. Does that sound right?? Best price I could find was $12.50 for double ground hardwood mulch. What would you guys have priced that as??? Also remember, this was only the mulch. Total bid included plants, trees, grass, mulch, soil conditioner and installation. I don't think I will get the job. My bid will be to high. Thanks for you input.
Yup sounds right to me. 3-4" of mulch is perfect for new beds as far as depth goes. Good luck with it.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Low-pro 68" bucket on my S185 Skidder holds .6 yards per scoop.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For 3" of mulch, I came up with 196 cubic yards (21200 square feet x .25 feet deep / 27 cubic feet/yard). So you are not too far off with 212 yards.

I would go a maximum of 3" on a new install...

Dan
Old 05-03-2004, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hole in one lco
if they are using a skid stir its 1 yd per scoop

huh? That's like saying if you are using a ZTR it cuts 61" per pass.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Blower Company save you time and money!!!!!! on a job like this it would take about 2 days and it will look better than any man can do by hand.... Could be slightly biased!!!!!
Old 05-09-2004, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to see someone blow in mulch as smooth as I spread it. You may be able to get it on the ground faster, but I have yet to see blown mulch look smoother than I can rake it..... I could be slightly biased too.

Dan
Old 05-11-2004, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I come up with 196 yards as well.
I would not touch this amount of work without at least first checking into subbing it out. Blowing it in sounds ideal for this, and I'd simply go around after and clean up all the areas.
I am sure this is the way to get the best deal out of the work.
To do a job right, you need the right equipment, and these types of jobs is why guys have mulch blowing trucks, they can do the large jobs more efficiently. Make good use of them, and give them business, as well as making money yourself. JMO

Good luck with it, and by the way, what are you bidding for this job? Sounds like some good coin here!