Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2004, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

BioSolid Help??

I have a "Milorganite-like" product coming available to me locally at a very attractive price and am considering incorporating it into my fertilizer program for all customers. Currently I have been using Lesco products exclusively. What I am considering is based on our city's botanist's recommendations and the experience of a service in Baltimore that does something similar. I welcome input about this idea... The product name is Nature's Blend, analysis is 1-1-0, (0.8 HWIN/0.2 WIN)

March/April: 19-0-6, 0.10% Dimension (2 apps. 4-6weeks apart)
May: 75#/M Nature's Blend after aeration
June: 18-0-18 Mach II if grub control needed
July: 75#/M Nature's Blend
Sept: 75#/M Nature's Blend overseed as needed, aerate
Oct: 75#/M Nature's Blend
Nov: 75#/M Nature's Blend

Our growing season typically lasts until Thanksgiving and most of our soils are clay based and dramatically short of organic matter. Most grass is fescue or bluegrass. The plan would be to taper applications over a 3-4 year period to just 2-3 Nature's Blend apps per year after proper organic matter is replaced based on soil sampling. This plan provides 3.5# N in the first year however, 80% of it is HWIN that is the reason for the taper to lower rate for maintenance. The product is not pelletized, therefore I am buying a ground drive topdresser for my ZTR. I will be using a drag-chain type harrow to incorporate the product down into soil, each time applied.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS, IDEAS, EXPERIENCES, PRO AND CON?????????

Thank you very much and I look forward to reading your responses.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh by the way, all lawns that I do are mulched always and have not thatch problems at all. Since it is done correctly. I will be instructing all customers to do the same if they want to spend the money to fix their lowsy lawns that their contractor left them with.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By my calculations, you will be applying almost 6 lbs N/M per year with this program. That's probably excessive, considering all the OM you will be applying as well.

Questions, on the product: Are you getting it free, because 75 lbs/M is an awful lot of material to be spreading each visit. Since it's not composted, how is the smell? Will your customers gripe about 75 lbs/M of smelly stuff being put on their lawn 5 times per season?
Old 04-11-2004, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

The stuff is cheaper than any synthetic but not free. It is composted for almost a year per batch so the smell is not an issue. At 1-1-0 and 75#/M the Nature's Blend is applying 3.75#N /M it may be more beneficial to use Dimension and Mach II as stand alone products since all N requirements are coming from Nature's Blend. My concern for the quick Spring green up is the HWIN? That's why I had the 19-0-6 in the Spring twice.