Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2004, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Measuring spark?

Is there a way to measure the coil output with an OHM meter?

I'm down to my wits end, Homelite weed eater, rebuilt carb, replaced fuel tank last year, ran great for about 4 months.

What it's doing now is it's hard to start, runs at idle only with choke on, give a little gas and dies.
Been through the carb and fuel lines thinking it's starving but it appears OK. New fuel lines and filter included with tank.
The spark looks weak to me.

Being a Homelite, is it time to upgrade?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes its time to graduate to a real string trimmer
Old 04-13-2004, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can use a ohm meter to test resistance through the coil and compare with the reading from a new coil. However to test output of the coil you need a kV testor. There are costly testors that Snap-On sells that work well or you can buy one that fairly cheap that take the place of the spark plug. These you can see the spark jump from terminal to terminal and usually have a screw to adjust the gap. The wider the gap the higher the kV rating. Most small engines are under 5kV.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It would be cheaper to buy a new coil than to buy a high-voltage tester. And when your coil gets warmer the resistance will change if not short to ground if it's bad thats when a lot of problems happen.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its not electrical it s fuel or throttle position would not affectit. Pitch it and get a good trimmer.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by barnard
Its not electrical it s fuel or throttle position would not affectit. Pitch it and get a good trimmer.

Replaced it with a Kawa KTR27A, gonna save it in case a find another at a yard sale and use it for parts. The coil was worth more than I gave for it. Might be a backup or yard ornament one day.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

have you checked the exhaust port?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeap, the screen was about clogged up, cleaned it and tried it, removed it and tried, no difference.

Acts like it's starving for fuel but I've cleaned, blew out, replaced fuel, I've done this twice.
The spark is weak, I'm wondering if when gas is given the spark is not enough to ignite?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Check the exaust port, not just the screen. Remove the muffler and make sure the port opening is clear.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Damn near polished and ported it. It breathes out just fine.