Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2004, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Choosing the right equipment

I'm new to this,so please bear with my crazy questions.
First off, I live in a fairly large sub-development(100 to 175 homes) where the average yard is about 10,000 to 12,000 sq.ft. The front yards are bermuda sod with the back yards seeded fescue.
I would really like to ride instead of walk. Would an exmark 48" lazer z hp be to big for this app?or would a great dane 42"ss be a better choice? or maybe a wright stander 42"
My next big question is would $25.00 to $35.00 per yard be a fair price?
I am planning on doing this part time only. I work a 4 day on, 4 day off schedule.

Thanks for your help,
B.T.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Testing.......... Testing........ Just want to see if this reply button works?
Old 04-13-2004, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just remember that some houses might have gates to get into the back yard, so plan for that. Bigger is better, if you can get to the yard. I run a 42" Walker most times, which fit thru all gates, and have a switchable deck so I can mow 74" for large lots. The price depend on you overhead, or what your bussiness plan says you need to cover your costs ( drive time, fuel, lics. fees. insurance, etc) You will get a vary opion on here, as everyone sets up there bussiness a little different. Just don't sell yourself short. Best of luck, hope you do well
Old 04-13-2004, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would you be bidding on all the houses as a package, or are you just describing the area? I'd say that price sounds about right, if they'll pay it. I don't have much experience with the riders, but have heard good things about the Great Dane's from people around me. No experience myself though, so just take this as word of mouth.
The only thing I would watch is if many of the houses are exactly the same yard sizes, try and not jump prices, like this guy $25, and his neighbor $30. Sometimes they get to talking to each other, and feel you are cheating some of them. Just a side note.

Good luck with it
Old 04-13-2004, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is not enough for 10-12k worth of cutting and all the edging due to bermuda. $35-$45 would be closer in line.

Oh, and the 48" HP would be fine for those size lawns. I use the 52" HP and over 1/2 my stuff is in the sizes your talking about.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input so far.It is really helping me out.
To answer your ? twins_lawn_care
I will be quoting the yards seperately.As for as great dane goes,some of these fourms really speak poorly of them.Customer service,parts,etc. Even just today my local G.D. dealer would not even suggest the G.D. line,he says to stick with exmark.
Hey 65hoss,
Looks like thats right up your alley!! I am most likely going with the 48"lazer z hp with the 20 h.p. kohler, what do you think?

Oh yea shepoutside,
I won't have to worry about the gate deal because my neighborhood will not allow chain link fences only privacy fences.
and really want to stay small because I don't have that much storage space. My only overhead will be my exmark ztr and trailer. I already have a echo srm2100 edger/trimmer that does great and a cheapo craftsman blower that does ok.
I just hope I will do good.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by B.T.
Hey 65hoss,
Looks like thats right up your alley!! I am most likely going with the 48"lazer z hp with the 20 h.p. kohler, what do you think?

Nothing wrong with the 48, but if you can swing the extra money get the 52". The 52" HP has more ground speed when you need it, has more trim side, and has a few more inches.

Nothing at all wrong with the 48", but given the choice I would go up to the 52".
Old 04-13-2004, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I can swing the extra money but I was afraid the cut may be too big for my app. Plus, my local dealer quted me a price of $6400 out the door for the 48" 20 hp kohler.
What would be your choice of motors, the 20 hp kohler or 23 hp kaw?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hands down the 23 kawi. The 23 kawi has the same torque numbers as a 26 kohler and it takes a 27 kohler to make more. The 20 kohler isn't close. Torque is where the blade meets the grass.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by B.T.
my local dealer quted me a price of $6400 out the door for the 48" 20 hp kohler.
that is way too much.