Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2000, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I was reading some older posts and none of them spoke kindly of a reman steering gear. I need to do something with mine, so what do I do if I avoid the reman gear? Rebuild the old one? From what I understand, there are a lot of things that need to be set up just right inside those things. In other words, it's not just something you can throw together.

Working in an auto parts store, I can get a reman gear for about $130. Not sure what the rebuild kit is.

So do I rebuild or replace?

Todd

btw...I have a 76 K20 with a 350
Old 11-30-2000, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I got a Remanufactured one on my k-20 works great, my uncle rebuilt his and it works but not that big of and improvment, go through Chevy it may be a little more But I think its worth it.
Old 12-02-2000, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a used one from a junk yard, I recommend you do the same. HUGE difference between a reman one.... My original one lasted 18 years, and 130,000 miles. The reman one I got lasted about 3 years, and less than 10,000 miles. Why? The seal at the input shaft started leaking PS fluid BAD. The shaft was so rusty, replacing the seal was not an option.

~Chuck
Old 12-10-2000, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

steering gear

Chuck is right about trying to find a good used one. Gm doesn't make a reman. steering gear that I know of & a new one from GM will run you anywhere from $350 to $600 depending on the year,make & model. You can rebuild it youself for a little less but if your not sure what your doing,don't attempt it. I've always said never mess with steering or brakes unless you know what your doing it's not worth your life or someone else's.
Old 12-10-2000, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Member

new steering gear

I think I may have the steering gear you need. If you're intrested E-mail me. I took it off a truck because the service manager made me. Only to find out the customers ball joints where bad.
Old 12-10-2000, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input on this.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern at the moment. My truck needs a bunch of work and I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off moving to a newer vehicle, or at least one that doesn't need so much.

In any event, the steering gear I can get through work has a lifetime warranty on it (not counting my time and trouble if I do have replace it again!)

Thanks again

Todd