Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2004, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

exmark grease fittings

help just bought a new exmark lazar z and lost the owners manual can anybody tell me where the the grease fittings are at for the spindles i have looked everywhere on the mower and cant find them any help would be great thanks JD
Old 04-16-2004, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Go to the Exmark web-site and download the owners manual or E-Mail Exmark and they will send you the Manual.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

cant find a download on exmark site and cant wait till they can send me a manual i have already put 65 hours on the mower without greasing the spindles. and i have to mow tomorrow thats another 7 hours i really need some help here
Old 04-16-2004, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you mean the blade spindles, there arent any. They are sealed bearings. The only grease fitting on the deck is the tensioner pivot point. The book says to release the belt tension and grease the pivot, then put the deck belt back on.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also.. the blade spindle bearings are warrantied for one year parts and labor and 3 yrs parts only.. regardless of hours.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks xcopterdoc i didnt want to run the mower tomorrow without knowing if they needed to be greased or not called saleman today he told me they where under the deck i was like what the he!!
Old 04-16-2004, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Draft
The blade belt tensioners zerk fitting points straight up. Just raise your "floor board" to get to it.

Make sure that you keep it well greased. For if the tensioner gets worn your idler pulley will twist and wreck havac on the belt. I have saw it happen on mowers that are less than three years old.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LynyrdSkynyrd
Draft
The blade belt tensioners zerk fitting points straight up. Just raise your "floor board" to get to it.

Make sure that you keep it well greased. For if the tensioner gets worn your idler pulley will twist and wreck havac on the belt. I have saw it happen on mowers that are less than three years old.
Also remember that this zerk must be greased under a "no-load" condition. You must remove the idler spring to create this condition. Grease will enter the zerk even if you dont remove the idler spring, but the tension placed on the pivot point prevents grease from making completely around the bushing. I have found that removing the spring is one s.o.b., but have gotten more use to it over time and can accomplish the task with just a medium size flat head screwdriver. P.S. be carefull!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

make a spring puller from a new piece of pullrope and a handle. tie it around the spring and pull to release. better than a screwdriver.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xcopterdoc
make a spring puller from a new piece of pullrope and a handle. tie it around the spring and pull to release. better than a screwdriver.
That's how I just did mine! Seems much easier and much safer, than a screw driver, ect. to me.

Anyway, just happen to think about all the discussion (and opinions) of the maintenance-free spindles. Some were replacing with spindles that had zerks. Some hated the thought of not being able to grease them. Some liked the maintenance-free.

Now after many years (and so many people using Exmarks), how have opinions changed? Never hear any talk on the subject anymore.
(have never had a prob. with the spindles myself)