Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2004, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My new truck- F350 flatbed dually

My "new" 1989 F350 dually flatbed (8'x12' deck) Jasper rebuilt 460 EFI big block (75,000 miles on it), C6 automatic with all the coolers (rebuilt 2 years ago), 3.55 gears, cruise control, air conditioning. Too bad it does not have o/d, but the 3.55 gears will be OK. The a/c needs recharged. And it will take a couple days to clean it.. but for $2,000 did I do so bad? It flat gits too LOL. I dropped it in low and spun the duals on my blacktop driveway (accident! honest! haha LOL) It was a buddy's mowing truck for 10 years, and I filled one trash bag just quickly cleaning out the interior.

The only trouble is, even after it is paid off I will be making payments to the Sunoco fuel station My F250 is dying and I need something. The flatbed will be real nice, and the insurance is actually $300 cheaper for a flatbed on commercial insurance policy. Got to use it today, it is a good running truck to work out of, but it's a lot bigger than the F250. Hopefully that fact will make me not drive hard/fast so I may get decent mileage. I have a big mulch installation job coming up, can't wait to put it to use. Best thing of all- it doesn't leak anything! Yay!!! LOL.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2004, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice catch Eric. How does it do with your trailer loaded?

Good luck with it & have fun & if you get a chance could you post some pics with your trailer hooked up to your "new" toy?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey thats nice, thats exactly what i need.

What was wrong with the 250.

How did you get this so cheap.

Does the bed dump.

The only down side i see is using it as a daily driver. Oh, talk about a chick magnet! lol
Old 04-17-2004, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rob, thanks. It hardly noticed the trailer. Will try to get pics of it with trailer soon.

Eric, the F250 needs brakes, clutch, slave cylinder (for clutch), oil pan gasket, and I decided it wasn’t worth it to me to do all that. So I’m trying to sell it. As to “how did you get this so cheap” well I have connections it was a buddy’s mowing truck and he said he might sell it, but his wife wanted him to keep it for backup (he has a new Chevy 2500 Duramax/Allison, I guess it takes a Ford to back up a Chevy hahaaha) but he is getting another Lazer so he lowered his price from $3k to $2k. He has a 60” Lazer 27hp Kaw LQ, 48” Scag belt drive, 52” Scag hydro w/b’s. He wants to get another 60” Lazer. I think he said it is on order actually. Oh but I digress. LOL I will have to get pics of his rig up on here.
No it does not have a hoist on the bed (yet) if I keep it a while I may put one on it. I MIGHT sell it later this summer for a diesel once I get more money. Right now it fit in the budget better than a diesel. I have a chic and she likes it, but I do get more looks in it LOL…. the real ONLY downside to this being a daily driver is 8mpg in town at best likely. I bet you I could make it get as bad as 4 or 5 mpg if I really romped in it hard. Oh well I will not be doing that anytime soon.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow that old ford did need some work.

I was kidding about the chick magnet .
The reason you get more looks is they are thinking ''god thats an ugly truck'' j/k

Well maybe some day this year i will get a truck like that, but it will have to be a Chevy!

Well glad you got a good deal man, best of luck.

btw. welcome to the Bad gas mileage club.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, I was going to ask you if you had a body style in the works for that but you already answerd my question. One suggestion if you don't mind is keep it for as long as you can add a little something to it to make it worth the re-sale. That is if you decide to do so. If you only payed 2k you might beable to get 2,500 or maybe 3k if you add to it. Those are just some food for thought. Again Good luck with it & enjoy
Old 04-17-2004, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice looking truck Eric. If it runs good I would have gladly given 2000 for it
Old 04-17-2004, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BHB looks good, fair price but save your pennies for a hoist to make it dump..... its one thing loading a truck by hand, its another unloading it by hand... once you get a dump you will say its the best investment you made!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice truck FORD!!!!!!!!!!! the only way Good Job and GOOD LUCK!

Joe
Old 04-17-2004, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

BHB, I have a 89 3/4 ton with a landscapers dump box on it. It has 89,000 original KMS 55625 miles on it. We bought it last year just to use for leaves and it worked good. We also have a chev diesel 1 ton that I put a flat bed on and I just finished adding a hoist to it. I bought a Ford F350 4 door truck from the city and robbed the hoist off it to put on the diesel. I sold the F350 for more than I paid for it and still have the hoist.