Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2004, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

just wanted say hi

Hey guys, just started up a new lawn care business and things are looking prety good so far. Have 5 clients as of now and people calling for estimates almost every day. I do have one question though, I bid on a large residential lawn today and told the guy 75.00. I figure it will probably take me about 2 - 21/2 hours to do. But the catch is that I only have a regular riding mower with a 42 in cut to work with right now. The guy said I was the first that he had talked to and he wanted to look arround a bit before making a decision. I'm affraid that someone else that has a larger ztr or something is going to give him a better estimate because they can do it in a much shorter time. I'm considering calling him back and lowering my bid to 65.00 just to give me a better chance of getting it. I plan to buy a better mower as soon as I get enough clients to afford it, so should I change the estimate and take the lower pay until I get a different mower, or should I stick with the original bid and hope nobody out bids me.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Griff, stick to the bid. If you lower the bid it will bother you for weeks. If your bid is fair stick to your guns. If you lower the bid and get the job everytime you mow it you will regret the price.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do not lower your bid!
1) it makes you look desparate
2) it makes you look like you did not give him a fair price to start
3) it makes you look like you don't know what you are doing
4) it makes you look like all your prices are negotiable, and people will chew you down on everything you ever do form here on out!

You have to stick with your bid. If that is how long it is going to take you, that's what you charge. You may not get this job, but your company image is worth a lot more than this one job. Maybe it is hard to realize this now starting out, but you are building your company image on every little thing you do from here on out.
You could follow up with him on the bid, but I would not change your price just to get the job.

In the end though, it is your decision, and that's the best part of owning your own business. Just remember with you being the boss, all the mistakes are your fault as well.

Good luck with the business!
Old 04-21-2004, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice guys, I'll stick to my bid and hope for the best then.