Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-08-2000, 04:42 PM
bill phagan

Just got info the EPA will be removing dursban products from shelves. Baits are not included. This is one product of many our industry anticipates being removed from use due to the Food Quality Protection Act and pesticide concerns. Dow has agreed to voluntarily withdraw this organophosphate (Chlorpyrifos)product immediately. For those of you who are in the pest control profession, I urge you to get with your association, as we are, and fight to retain our products and not over react to the tree huggers without appropriate documentation and evidence. There are PC associations in all states. Check www.cpcoofflorida.org for yours. <p>For more info on Dursban removal check www.pctonline.com/article1.asp
Old 06-08-2000, 04:56 PM

Well they must be removing it for a good reason. Like it is dangeruos to your health. What reason is given for the removal? Is it getting into the drinking water? The atmosphere? i am all for the environment. We all gotta live here for awhile
Old 06-08-2000, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I understand it is being taken away for most purposes although it is not totally being banned. Dow's Dursban products which are geared for homeowners are the ones with Chlorpyrifos. I agree with Charles...I want to live here for a while too and if it is harming the environment, then do away with it. I'm sure EPA is not pressuring DOW without good hard evidence and I'm sure Dow being the megacompany that it is will come out with something to replace it very soon if they already don't have it waiting in the wings. Remember DDT? Boy did that stuff work great! Then we nearly lost our national bird!!! Still got a bottle in my garage as a souvenir.
Old 06-08-2000, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Removed from shelves???<p>Pesticides need to be registered with the EPA on a recurring basis. Most of the time a product is discontinued, the EPA does not renew the registration, the pesticide is no longer manufactured and the existing supply sells out.<p>To pull existing product off the shelf would be extraordinary.
Old 06-08-2000, 06:33 PM

Like Bill said they are removing it. Its an AP story today. But in the article they sadi they could sell the remaining of the product already on the shelf .But could not replace it
Old 06-08-2000, 07:45 PM

I just saw on Dan Rather, that they save dursban can cause nerve damage especially in children. He confirmed that they are letting them sell the remainder of the product on the shelf and that that fact has some people upset.
Old 06-08-2000, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My understanding, after reading the story, is that it will be unavailable to the homeowner market but still available to licensed pesticide applicators. Gets it out of the hands of the homeowner who dumps the whole bag around the tomatoes to keep the ants away<p>Bill
Old 06-09-2000, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's no longer available to the homeowner, but only to the licensed pesticide applicator-- that means it would be a RUP: Resticted Use Pesticide with all the implications and paperwork that go along with that.
Old 06-09-2000, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lindane is also no longer mfg for use in the U.S. <br>When present supplies are sold out that is it, or so Ive been told.
Old 06-09-2000, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets see. Cigarettes are a known, proven cause of all types of cancer. Second hand smoke, also, has been proven to affect those who inhale it. Dursban, on the other hand &quot;supposely&quot; causes nerve damage among young children. <p>Verdict.....<p>Lets ban dursban, but before we do, lets light up a big fat stogie to celebrate the fact that the public will surely re-elect us now that we have done this NOBLE thing to benfit all man-kind.<p>When was the last time you talked to someone and they talked about how they were spraying some ants that were creeping around their garden, and suddenly their 6 month old toddler, tucked away in its crib a 100 yds away from any part of the garden suddenly started drooling at the mouth, its eyes starting spinnning around in its eye sockets, and later on it grew up to be a runner up for the role of &quot;corky&quot; on the show &quot;life goes on&quot;<p>Then, when was the last time you heard, or rememember for that point, a friend or relative developing some sort of lung cancer from cigarettes?<p>What a bunch of crap!<p>I think I will write my politician up today and tell him about how my back is starting to hurt because I have to lift that heavy gate on my landscape trailer up 10 times a day and that my doctor has told me that I am in for back problems in a couple of years that could lead to serious medical problems. <p>No, wait. that won't work. Lifting heavy objects all day has a 99.9% chance of causing back problems. Thats too good of a chance. Now, if it had a .000000000000001% chance of hurting me, then I would probably be on channel 4 news tonight,along with hundreds of other outraged landscapers, complaining about how we are outraged that we have been exposed to this threat for many years and that no one has done anything to help us, and that starting immediately, all homeowners who hire a company to mow their lawn must come out every week and help us lift out gates up and down so that we don't become crippled. <p>Sounds along the same lines to me.<p>steveair<p><p><p>