Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2004, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

What is possible??

I have 2 21" push mowers. Of course a trimmer,blower,truck & trailer. I am looking to hire someone to help me. Is it possible for me to mow around 45-50 yards a week with push mowers. Average yard sizes i mow are between 15,000-30,000 sp.ft. If we push hard it is possible to cover that much ground in a 40 hour week. Miinium stopping prices is $20 which is for 16,000sp.ft. and under. Please give any help. Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your crazy. I do twenty seven a week now with a ztrn, and walkbehind and it takes two of us about 13-15 hours. if you think you are gonna push 40 hours a week your nuts. Also your prices seem a bit (A LOT) low. For a 2000 sq foot yard we get 20 bucks. For one acre I get 45-50. Nothing lower than 20, but that is for yards with like 5000 and under. Do as many as you can.

You probably wouldnt make much if you hire someone because you will be paying them. It is easy to want to work 40 hours, but you need to find the jobs first.

Trevor
Old 04-21-2004, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Trevor is right. Purchase a big commercial mower if you have the jobs lined up. If you don't have the jobs lined up use the small mowers till you can afford a bigger one. That many a week would kill you and the 21" mowers within a few weeks. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

With the equipment you have right now, you just can't handle those size properties and make much money. Not that you can't make amoney with only 21" mowers, because I am right now, but you have to match your equipment to your jobs. I focus on the smaller residentials, and can come close to $45-$55 per hour doing so. It sounds like with your current position, you'd not be making anything after all your expenses.
Try to market to smaller residentials, and when you can afford a larger mower, then start hitting the larger props.

Good luck with the business, and remember, we all started with 1 lawn!