Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2004, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Just About To Start Please Help!!!

I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF STARTING A LAWN CARE BUSINESS FOR QUITE SOMETIME! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE BUSINESS. I WORKED FOR ACOUPLE OF SUMMERS AND REALIZED THAT THIS IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. GETTING TO THE POINT, I FOUND THIS WEB SITE AND ITS GREAT!!!! I HAVE NOT PURCHASED SINGLE THING YET SO I AM LOOKING TO YOU ALL! I WAS WANTING TO KNOW WHAT STEPS I SHOULD TAKE AS FAR AS EVERYTHING IS CONCERNED. I HAVE A FAMILY AND REALIZE THAT THIS WOULD BE MY MAIN SOURCE OF INCOME. I AM EXTREMELY DRIVEN TO BE SUCCESSFUL. WHERE I AM FROM, OMAHA, PEOPLE ARE MAKING TONS OF MONEY AND IF I DO THIS WOULD LIKE TO DO IT RIGHT. I'M NOT SURE WHAT THE HOURLY RATES ARE HERE. PRETTY MUCH AS FAR AS THE LABOR ASPECT OF THE BUSINESS GOES I'M GOOD. BUT I NEED TO LEARN THE BEHIND THE SCENE STUFF. WHAT WOULD BE GOOD EQUIPMENT TO START WITH, WHERE CAN I GET IT? SOFTWARE? I WANT TO START OFF RIGHT AND MOST OF ALL BE A PROFESSIONAL NOT SOME SCRUB! TIME=EXPERIENCE IF I'M GOING TO GET HELP THIS WOULD BE THE PLACE TO GET IT. ALL TOPICS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME! THANKS
Old 04-22-2004, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Using all capital letters is considered shouting in computerland. Good luck in your business.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Start small, work hard, do a great job, take time with the customers, buy good equipment, and all the rest will follow.

Good luck,

J.M.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello gopros I am only in my second year of business so I am still just a little puppy amongst all these big dogs, but I'll tell you what little I have learned (that might help you).
1. Always do a better job than your competition. (durrrr)
2. I see alot of people go out and blow major money on tons of new equiptment, and then end up selling it at a great loss in the first year. Buy what you need to get started, and as business allows then upgrade.
3. My biggest regret is not buying a zero turning radius mower. I watch other's in the business with exmarks and john deere 0 radius, and they blow me away as far as time spent at each yard. I know that kinda goes against #2.
Well maybe next year I'll have more for you - Good Luck to you!!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

hello!! i'm also starting a new small lawn care business!! i'm starting off with the bare basic eguip. *standard push mower, poulan pro weedeater, craftsman weeder w/edger attachment, poulan riding mower* i'm also currently in the process of producing my own advertising stuff (printshop for fliers etc., business card making software) i also found some great business forms that are printable off the internet(free) all you have to do is type in 'free printables' i know i'm rambling on!! like i said i'm new too, but we all have to start somewhere!! good luck! hope it helps!!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, don't type in all caps. You'll get more responses
My first suggestion is to READ READ READ threads on lawnsite. I've learned virtually all I know from this site.
I would suggest getting a small walkbehind mower (36" or 48") for small lawns, which will be the ones you will get at first. I'm ASSUMING you have a truck, if not then you need one of them too (duh). You'll need a 21" for small areas, a GOOD string trimmer (straight shaft, we use Echo), a GOOD leaf blower, and lots and lots of flyers.
Last but not least, you need to spend lots of TIME. Advertising must not be underestimated. I would spend most of my time in the first year trying to get my name out.
Welcome to lawnsite, and good luck