Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2004, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

help me here

Ok, guys....got a problem

Got a neighbor across the street with a husband in Afganistan and their mowers broke. I do not solicit this business because of a long time freindship and I do not endorse their mower choice but hey, it's theirs.

Ok, now to the problem. It's a Murray rider with a Techumseh 13 hp engine, junk...I know. Anyway, it will not start, won't even turn over. New battery for the season and nothing. New solenoid due to the other one not starting the engine. Able to cross the terminals and get it started yesterday but today nothing......I MEAN NOTHING. No click, no attempt to start nothing. Guys, I need your help here to get this done. I am too busy to be farting with this thing at night after mowing all day but I just can't find the Gremlin that is hiding in the dang thing.

Thanks for any input!
Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd check all the safety switches first. If it will start by jumping the selonoid, then the starter motor itself is good, maybe a bad seloniod. clean and check all connections. If that aint it, have it dropped off at a lil shop that wont charge her and arm and a leg to fix it. I know how it goes with deployed husbands.. we get alot of military wives in our shop here in Fayetteville, and I was once a deployed husband too! Nothing ever goes wrong til he leaves! Thanks for helping her out!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Same idea here, check all safety switches under seat, blade engagement, etc... also you might want to bypass them to test i once had a customer who rigged his safety switch by gluing down the button and it had just come unglued! So I had to start like normal not like I used to start it for him. Bypass switches and check fuses..dont let jumper wires ground out on frame of mower though...hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

With everything new as you described.

No click, No Nothing = Safety switch somewhere is not closing or opening which ever the case may be.

Copter Doc gave as good of advice as I could. Here a few shops will not charge a military family member labor cost that has a spouse serving overseas.

---------------------------------

Doc
Do you know anyone with the last name Swan that lives on Maple St. in Fayetteville?
Old 04-23-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is he an Army pilot??
Old 04-23-2004, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check the 15 amp fuse under the hood behind the engine Behind the steering shaft.