Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2000, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question for you stihl guys out there. Our FS-85 trimmer is very hard to start, it takes about 10 or 15 pulls to start everytime. Once it is running it runs fine. I started out with the carb screws 1 full turn out and adjusted the high side first then idle. Have any of you guys had this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks <p>mark
Old 06-09-2000, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you choke it on the first pull, they are lean running suckers.
Old 06-09-2000, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is, if i prime it about 4 times it will sometimes start on about 5 pulls. I just did a tune-up at the beginning of the season and also cleaned out the carb. I'm sorta leaning towards the carb, maybe it is getting gummed up again or some bad gas? Don't know this is starting to make me mad though.
Old 06-09-2000, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same problem with mine. I've had the carb rebuilt twice since the beginning of the year, the second time free needless-to-say. I just figured it had something to do with the smog standards imposed on California-sold machines, but now I think it must be a design flaw.<p>Since getting it rebuilt again, however, it's been running smooth...<p>-TGC
Old 06-09-2000, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one that is about a year old and it is hard to start always has been I think I will switch equipment brand now. Sthil are good equipment though I have never had any problems with them and never anything bad about them<br>
Old 06-11-2000, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

yep, i have the same problem with mine. i'll just live with it till I get another trimmer (probably a FS-200, bicycle, mainly for tiller use). when i have the FS-85 worked on, i guess i'll have the carb rebuilt. is it possible to get non-emmisions carbs?
Old 06-11-2000, 06:16 PM
Banned

This is my second season with my FS85 and I haven't had a hard starting problem. I haven't changed any of the carb settings since I got it. It starts after 2-3 pulls and idles great when warm. I figured I wouldn't mess with the carb settings until I noticed a performance change.
Old 06-11-2000, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maby it does have to do with the emissions standers?I live in ontario and only the odd time I will have a hard time starting the fs 85.The only time I hace had a problem with the trimmer is when the spark screen on the muffler plugged up with gunk.I just run with out the spark screen.I know by law you should not remove it but I doubt my clients lawns will burst into flames becouse of that!!!!!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 06-12-2000, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey mark-<br>looks like a few of us have the FS-85.<br>Like firebrand, I haven't had much problem with mine either.<br>1st guess would be new plug & gas; are you using Stihl 2 cycle oil? My gas is a bit on the oily side as far as not exactly 50 to 1; more like 35 or 40 to 1. 1st thing I did after getting it home was to remove the screen in the exhaust, because I don't need california emissions in Ohio. That will help.<br>Bad gas will make it hard to start, or condensation in the tank too. I use a 2 gal. can so it never sits for long without being used up. You seem to have the screw adjustments right; maybe you could also take the carb off & clean the combustion chamber area of carbon & crud.<br><p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 06-12-2000, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Adam is correct for 80% of the problems with Stihl product-- get rid of the muffler screen. You can't believe how much of a difference it means to remove that blasted piece of screen from the muffler hole.<p>gus<br>