Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2004, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

wanting to go legit!

Guys and Gals,

I have been mowing for about 2 years part-time but it was not a legit business. Not very big, a few yards for xtra cash. But now I want to go all the way with it. However, in doing the math, it seems almost impossible to make a good profit. I know that I will need to hire help. But how do you hire help before you have the customers/income and how do you get the income with the additional help?

There are so many costs associated with a legit business. Such as Taxes, licenses insurance, employees salaries, xtra equipment/supplies.

So, my main question is how do I do make this business a success while making a good living? I'm thinking around 5-6k/month for my salary.

Thanks,

Bamafire1
Old 04-24-2004, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

YOu dont. STAYAS FAR AWAY FROM LAWN CARE AS YOU CAN!

Trevor
Old 04-24-2004, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Bud. I appreciate both the honesty and sarcasm. However, I posted this question in the "Just Starting in Business" forum which, is the correct area for advice on subjects such as this. I was actually looking for constructive advice to assist me in building a successful business. If you have any such advice I would respectfully listen.

Bamafire1
Old 04-27-2004, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Go legit without hiring help for a few years to set some money back and gain larger accounts. No since in hiring/sharing money unless you have to.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry about my english.....sense
Old 04-27-2004, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Bama,

Can you cut in TN all year round or is there a dry period?

Your best bet is to get 40 hours a week of work for yourself then hire a part timer to work a day here or there.

You can call around for insurance rates.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Member

to make that kind of salary after you pay the bills is gonna be tough by yourself. If you stay by solo, learn and do landscaping installs, stonescaping, ponds...anything with a better profit margin than mowing. Keep your mowing route tight to keep from driving around all day. Consider getting an applicators license so you can put down chems. like roundup, for re seeding jobs in the late summer. Mowing pays the bills, but its the extra work that will build your business and allow you to pay a crew.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After being in this business for about a year I've come to the same conclusion as DOH.It's very difficult to make any serious money working solo and just doing basic lawncare maintenance because there are so many people out there doing it.I believe you have to expand into other areas like landscape design,irrigation systems,tree removal &stump grinding,etc. and hire some good people in order to really do well.That's just my opinion.Good luck!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I want to thankk you guys for the responses. I am going to take this year and try and get a few more mowing accounts while learning other trades such as the landscape installs, etc. I have been reading this site for a while now and have already learned alot. You vets out there have been a great help to many newbies on this site and I commend you on your willingness to help out.

Thanks,

Bamafire1