Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2004, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

PG ultra ??

He are a few problems that PG cant help me with.

!. when spraying the ultra and I run under 1 gallon of spray the system stops spraying, After I refill it takes around 1 hour of runnign the machine with the switch on for the spraying to begin. I ve cleaned all the lines, filters but it always happens, My centri you can spray down to nothing re fill and start spraying again.

2 Sometime at first lawn or if machine has sat for a few hours between lawns ( long lunch ) you put it in gear ( high ) and rpm's are around 3100 and the dog just dosent move. flat ground is okay but if you try to climb any type of hill she just dosent move. Rpms's stay high, wheels dont spin. Once the machine has been moving for a couple of minutes ( 10-15 ) she runs fine. All belts are tight.

Any ideas?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, though we havnt had the problem of sprayer stopping, (untill its totaly empty) i do hear ya about the time it takes to get it spraying again. we found that if you open the valve that you're suppose to use to fill the bottle it bleeds out the air pretty quick and gets you spraying again.

also havnt had the problem with slow ground speed on a cold start. maybe the trany fluid is low??

we use lescos hydrolic spreaders as well and had that problem, changed the hydrolic oil to a lighter weight and problem was solved
Old 04-26-2004, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

James, your belt is slipping or loose. After the belt
warms up it probably grabs enough to run so you might want to check it out. You might have an air leak causing the spray system to pump up slowly. See if the filter gasket is still in place.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

James, sorry I did'nt read on to see you tightened the belt. Since it is a gear drive transmission you got me.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

James, I have the same problem with getting air into the system when I run it dry. I do the same as TSM suggested (open the bottle fill valve) and eventually it starts spraying again.
I have no idea what is going on with your drive system though ...good luck.
David
Old 04-26-2004, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only problem with opening the bottle fill valve is nothing come out of that as well, Dosent that run off the pump as well ?

The drive problem is not all the time,
Old 04-27-2004, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the pump does seem to get air locked easily. opening the bottle fill valve just chases the air out much more quickly.

its definitely a pain

another thing i've noticed on both the centri and ultra is that the drive belts suck. even with a tight belt they tend to slip after about 25 hours of use on a new belt. We go through TONS of belts! I think with the $$$ we spend on just belts alone keeps the folks at PG sitting in plush offices.

there has got to be a better way.

I know the Z-spray users will say the better way is that unit. After the problems we've had with PG.....I dont know...just gets me to think that there is no perfect machine out there.

anyway, looks like more rain! or maybe not?? what a lousy weather pattern, cold and rainy today, hot and dry tomorrow?. we've been able to keep up with lawn apps (weeds are catching up to us though) but the tree spraying is another story. We're trying to get all our tree spray customers converted over to injections (abor system) but the higher cost is shying them away, so we need to get them to understand that in high winds and/or rain we aint serviceing theri trees

cant wait for retirement
Old 04-27-2004, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up an ultra this season, and I have had problems getting the spray started also. But I found a way to get around it.

It seems that if I run the sprayer dry by accident, that after I fill the tank and turn on the sprayer, that it won't prime until I pinch the feed line out.

I don't know why this works, but if I pinch it with my fingers, not all the way closed, but slightly open, then I draw product out of the tank and the pump gets fed.

I hope it works for you too.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I here ya. Spraying down to a gallon and that is it. I open the black value line that sit atop the tank, I open my bottle valve, and then hit the spray button. 30 seconds I have pressure and back at it.

I don't have a problem with the machine not going, but I do have a problem that when i go flag or invoice the door the machine is setting idling and it will just shut off. I have adjusted, called PG, read the manual, I am starting to think its b/c of the brigg engine.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to tell you boys, my new machine is waiting as I type at my local Lesco where it was delivered today. I said I would be willing to give the PG a try because of their buy back guarantee, and if I have the problems you guys are having it WILL be going back!! I mowed for 8 years before I ever started applying and I know that when I spent 5 grand for a mower I expected quality product with no down time and that is what the mower manufacturers always provided. I definately have the lawns where this type unit will be a big plus so I'm really hoping it works well. Otherwise I will have to come up with a different solution. But I WILL have that 5 grand back in my pocket!!
One thing I don't understand, this machine must be doing SOMETHING right for you guys or why didn't you return it? I remember a couple years ago their buy back guarantee was actually 110%.