Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-10-2000, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering if Slick 50 is worth using in my<br>new 26hp efi Kohler?<p>Karl<br>
Old 06-10-2000, 10:04 AM

I put slick50 in my van because it was overheating. Hasn't over heated since. Don't know how that would translate to equipment. This product is as good as anything else I guess
Old 06-10-2000, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

karl,i would just use a synthetic oil like mobil,or amsoil.you would come out just as well.<br>dave
Old 06-10-2000, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I too would recommend a synthetic oil over Slick 50. Slick 50 will void some warranties, for what it's worth.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GrassRoots Lawn Care
Old 06-10-2000, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I was having trouble with my cars standard transmision. Hard to shift and grinding gears. Changed the oil, no change. Changed the oil again to Slick 50. It is like new.<br>That's all I know<p>Once is never<br>Twice is always
Old 06-10-2000, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Slick 50, amsoil, mobil1, prolong, they will all make a difference in thge summertime exspecially but the go forever without changing your oil is a myth you need to change your oil just like regaular oil changes and that is what will make your engine last the longest.
Old 06-10-2000, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't compare Slick 50 and Prolong to synthetic oils. They are not the same and i would avoid the use of PTFE products.<p>Articles worth reading:<p>&lt;a href=&quot;http://vtr.sanders.com/maintain/oil-additives.html&quot;&gt;Snake Oil&lt;/a&gt;<p>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.mustangworks.com/technical/articles/misc/OilNotes.html&quot;&gt; Ed Hackett's Oil Notes&lt;/a&gt;<p><p><p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith
Old 06-10-2000, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing i dont agree with. In the article it says that sythetics can go three times linger than sregular oils and i just look at my dipstick and when it turns black and has metal deposits and feels scratchy when you rub your fingers together and you can feel a difference in your engine then its time for an oil change. I do beleive your article about additives and will say that synthetic oil is in my opinion better that any additive because it takes up your whole cranckcase instead of just alittle amount of concentrate just poured in to make a big difference.
Old 06-11-2000, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

bdemir, a synthetic will resist heat related breakdown longer than petroleum if it was in a perfect enviroment. You are right, 3-4 times as long is a bit much to be expected. In an internal combustion engine, oil becomes contaminated quickly and this is the primary reason for frequent oil changes. <p>I change mine (Kohler) every 100 hours w/ filter. Using a high grade filter is just as important.
Old 06-11-2000, 10:31 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I change my oil every 50 hours and the filter every 100, which is 1/2 of what is recomended. I figure it is cheaper to change the oil than it is the engine.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence