Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-10-2000, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the scariest,most butt puckering thing<br>to happen to you on the job? Whether it be<br>sliding down a steep hill or mowing Jeffrey<br>Dahmers back yard,it doesn't matter. My<br>scariest moment on the job was sliding the<br>tractor down a real steep block,with no effect from the brakes and unable to get the <br>diff lock on.Was doing about 25mph near the<br>bottom,with a house right in front of me.<br>What about you guys??<p>Karl<p>
Old 06-10-2000, 10:08 AM

I dont think u finished the story Karl lol What happened? Did u hit the house?
Old 06-10-2000, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nearly,The ground levelled out slightly.<br>Enough to kick in the diff lock and slow down<br>enough to use the brakes. Nearly ended up in their pool.<p>Karl<br>
Old 06-10-2000, 10:22 AM

I have a very steep lake lot I cut. I do it with my Kubota. That is my scariest thought that the hydro transmission will let lose for some reason and i will go carreening down that hill into the lake. by the way karl nice setup on your tractor. I need to put a cage on mine to do wooded areas and quit getting hit by briars accross my face whil bushhogging
Old 06-10-2000, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a setup thats save me from tree branches<br>a few times.If you look at mine you'll see<br>the sweeps going up are straight.DON'T do<br>that.Have them angle outwards as they reach<br>the rops frame.Mine tend to guide branches<br>straight into my face if I'm not careful.<br>Gonna fix that soon.<p>Karl<br>
Old 06-10-2000, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This did not happen to me, just something for the tractor/brush hoggers to think about.<br>Guy was brush hogging. He was looking back to see how the cut looked or something. The branch of a tree knocked him off the tractor. He fell in front of mower. The guy lost half of his ass. Months or rehab before he could return to work.
Old 06-10-2000, 03:15 PM
Banned

I was mowing by a lake, my client had pulled some stuff out of the lake like she always does, and I usually just mulch it up. This time I had to stop and let the deck down on top of the pile. Second pile ok until I started to go forward.My tires started slipping and swimming we go.Those Kawisaki are good motors.
Old 06-10-2000, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Friend in the business had a walk-behind with no recoil starter- just a spinning cup on top of the rotating screen. Lost his balance and would up sitting down on it while it was running.<p>Wouldn't have believed it myself, but my wife is a RN at the hospital and was on duty that evening. She said the laceration was almost a perfect circle around his sphinter.<p>Talk about a pain in the ...
Old 06-10-2000, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

OUCH!
Old 06-10-2000, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My guy ran out of gas on a steep hill that bottoms out into a river. He managed to control ir just in time but it could have been a bad one. He was on a dixie with a trac vac on the back.(dixies are bad on hills)