Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2004, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Wheel Motor Seal Kit Installation?

I had a wheel motor seal kit(on one of the motors, not both) installed on a 2002 Great Dane Chariot w 440 hours. The dealer(from whom I purchased this tractor from, and many others) is charging me for 6.9 hours of labor. This seems very high to me, especially since I could have purchased a new motor for less than the $436 repair bill.

How long should this job take to do by a competent mechanic?
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go back and ask for a detailed breakdown of the labor hrs by task. ie. remove and install motor: x hrs. Sometimes when a motor fails it leaves metallic pieces in the hyd system. Anytime I had a wheel or drive motor failure on any equipment, I always did a complete flush of the system. This includes removing the hyd hoses, flushing them out ect. Refilling the system, changing the filter, bleeding the system ect, the hrs add up. If it was justa motor seal kit and you handed them the motor, then I would say, no more than 2 hrs, which includes cleaning, disassembly, inspection, replace seals and reassemble.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for your reply xcopterdoc.

The shop had to remove the motor from the machine and re-install it, after the seal kit was installed. According to the invoice 1 quart of 15w50 was added, so they did not flush out the system. I think I have been had.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

seems you may have indeed. Thats a price I would expect to pay at a top of line hyd repair shop. That would be for a rebuild, not just changing out a few packings. I's still call their bluff though and ask someone there why it took so long to do a motor. If they cant answer your questions, I'd ask for an adjustment to your bill. And whenever a repair exceeds the cost of a new part, thats a BIG RED FLAG! You should have been contacted and asked what you wanted to do. Always ask for a detailed estimate, before any work is done, minus of course any labor for finding out the initial problem, which is usually 1/2 to 1 hr labor.