Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2004, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good point Richard, there was a post a while back that the state of NC. are checking trailers very heavy now, cant remember who posted but they were in the Raliegh area

Old 04-29-2004, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to admit that I'm a little put off by the difference in cost between a single and a tandem. This being my first year, no way I need a tandem, and I'm not sure when I will.

Got a quote for just over 1100 for a single and nearly 1900 for a tandem with brakes on one axle. If it's two seasons (2006) before I really need a tandem, would it be a waste of money to go with a single? I mean, it's not like those things are hard to sell in the newspaper.

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I heard that you had to have a special license to drive a tandem, can someone clear me up on that issue.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

well i think i am gonna go tandem due to my outlook this year and i would rather have more now than less later.I dont wanna have to buy a single now then a tandem later
Old 04-29-2004, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey, the guy i work for actually shocked me. he sold his 18' trailer and bought a 14' single axle trailer. he does have a full line of equip including 2 61'' ztrs and a 44'' walkbehind. he bought the smaller trailer because he got tired of towing the big trailer and it has the larger gate which gets very tiring after a full days work. he can manage fine with the smaller trailer, and also has a dump trailer and two trucks if need be.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

$1900 sound like a lot for a tandem, depending on the options. I just got a quote for $1475 for a 6.5' X 16' with 6" channel, brakes on both axles, 4' gate with spring assist, 2 5/16" coupler, diamond plate floor, heavy duty jack and fenders. No racks or boxes, as I will build myself.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cels, I agree about the price. I called Gator and left a message a couple of weeks back and never heard anything. Maybe I need to look around more.

Soccer, that varies by jurisdiction. You maybe need to look up NC state law on the Web.

I'm hoping steel prices will drop again, but haven't checked into steel futures (assuming anyone does that with steel) to get a feel for when that might happen. Funny, for a while, Japan was dumping steel here in the U.S. and it was cheap. Talk about commoditized materials.

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

It all depends on YOUR situation. The best advice I can give if undecided is to take and piece and right down all of your requirements for the trailer. A requirement would be something that you can NOT do without. This will then eliminate trailers that you CAN't look at because they don't meet your requirements. Next, write down what your maximum cost of the trailer you can afford and/or are willing to spend. Now you have eliminated, even further, the trailers you can choose from.

Next, with the trailers that are remaining make three columns per trailer that you are now looking at. Make one of the columns a list for price, specifications, baseline cost, and options cost. Utilize the next two columns for pros and cons, likes and dislikes. This should give you a real indication of what you are looking at and what is better suited for you. someone telling you this or that is better for you without knowing anything about your background, uses, etc. has no clue what they are talking about.

If you really want to gung-ho then you can weight (i.e. rank) different characteristics. For instance, let's say there are five characteristics for each trailer. Assume they are the following, (A) GVWR, (B) Length, (C) Width, (D) Brand, (E) Cost. You would then assign a rank to each characteristic, not necessarily equal. You would grade each characteristic for each trailer. the one with the highest total should (according to your ranking and analysis) be the one that best would suit your needs for your price range, requirements, etc.

Now that everyone is asleep, WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Mark McC, I hear ya on the steel prices. I was reviewing some quotes at work and many of the raw materials I purchase have gone up 95 percent. Right now, stainless steel tubing is killing me.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a used tandem? In Kentucky and Tennessee you can find them in the heavy equiptment trader magazine. You can always add a ramp if you buy a used one without it. You should be able to get one for less than $1000.