Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2004, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

New business help with paver brick estimate

Hey there! Glad to see this community exists.

Have sort of a problem, here it is:

I just started my own landscaping business. I have worked with other companies for about 6 years. I have a some experience in paver bricks, though not a lot. However, I am cconfident I can get the job done. What I need is an estimate. I got my first bid today and the business owner wants me to do a paver brick patio. I measured the area, and it comes out to 426 sq. ft. The owner is going to buy the paver bricks. They will be mortar-less. So how much should I charge to lay them? There is mulch and soil there right now. It will probably take me around 8 hours to prepare the area. Thanks for any help/advice!

Oh and here's a drawing of the area:
Old 04-30-2004, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi again. Well I have came up with a rough estimate. I think I'm going to say $3150 for the price to install the brick patio. How's this sound? Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2004, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say with him supplying the bricks, you are losing money on that mark up, so make sure you add in to your labor.
I do not have much if any experience in patios, other than advice to make sure you do a good job starting out, since the word will spread one way or the other.
Also, get a sign made to put in the front yard while you are working, so people know you are the one doing it, and watch the calls come in from it.
Sorry, can't offer a price on this, it's out of my field, but I thought I'd offer some free advice.

Good luck with it!
Old 04-30-2004, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for your advice!

I told him I would supply the brick, or that I would like to, but he doesn't want that....darn it. I wish I could get him to let me supply them, but he says he can get a good deal. Since it's my first independent job, I figure it's better to let him have his way somewhat. I will definitely put a sign up, that is a great idea. Sounds like you have had positive feedback in the signage area?
One of my biggest problems right now, is getting clients, and that'll help. Thank you again
Mike
Old 05-01-2004, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

So I dropped off the estimate of $3194 yesterday. I included 8 yards of gravel and 2 yards of 2NS sand in the price. I think that's a great deal. I haven't heard back from the business owner though. I dropped it off at 2pm and he wasn't there. He said he'd be in at 5pm, but still haven't heard back from him. MAybe I scared him with the price? I know it's a good deal, but I don't think he had any idea as to how much it'd cost. I called around to other companies and the other estimates were between $4000-6000, so hopefully the owner does the same.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

First of all, welcome to Lawnsite and good luck with the bid. One suggestion I would make is NOT to offer a warranty on the bricks. Since you don't get to provide them, you don't have the opportunity to select the quality, and you aren't getting the opportunity to build any replacement cost into the price. Go ahead and give him a warranty on the labor, but if I was you I wouldn't offer one on the actual product. JMO.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thank you Zach for the warm welcoming and the advice. I will do the labor warranty but not the brick warranty.