Register free!

Old 04-30-2004, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ambrosia beetles

Ambrosia beetles are relatively new to our area. I have a customer who has 2 crape myrtles infested with them. My county agent says the only way to get rid of them is to cut the trees down and burn them. Does anyone know of a alternative to this. Thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: ambrosia beetles

Quote:
Originally posted by Cutters Lawn Care
Ambrosia beetles are relatively new to our area. I have a customer who has 2 crape myrtles infested with them. My county agent says the only way to get rid of them is to cut the trees down and burn them. Does anyone know of a alternative to this. Thanks
Cutter

Ambrosia beetle normally attack stressed trees. Therefore you are at a disadvantage to start. I think you are out of luck for curative product unless you have Lindane left over. Cygon might work also but once again it is not labeled for Horticulture. Dursban was once used also but the tree had to be tented with black vis queen and then sprayed. Mauget does have some injectable products for prevention. And Merit can also prevent Beetles. Many of the great chemicals have gone the way of the wind.

However Some one else might teach us both something about this problem.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only experience I've had with ambrosia beetles is with one tree that was infested with them when it came out of the nursery in Tennessee.... Didn't know what was causing the problem, but the tree was cut down and burned, then replaced....

You might check with your state DNR, they probably have someone who deals with pests of this nature. See what they recommend.

My guess is you will need to cut the tree down and burn it. Chances are that there is nothing that can be done once you start noticing a problem. Preventative treatments may be the route to go. But that's just a guess...

BTW, you can keep them down there!

Dan
Old 05-01-2004, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to the local lesco dealer today and he said that Onyx is the only thing that might work. He told me the percentages of Talstar in it but I forgot. He said it might be able to soak into the tree enough and get rid of them. The key word he said was MIGHT. I'm gonna call the local fert company I sub out to Monday morning. I'm gonna get their opinion on the Onyx. At least give it a shot and see what happens.