Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2004, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take all root rot

Will corn meal cure take all root rot? A soil sample came back infected with "Gaeumannomyces graminis var. graminis" or take all root rot. Recommended action was removing top 2-3" inches of soil, treating with Bayleton or Heritage and resodding with centipede. The couryard has been resodded twice in the last 2 years and declined severely over the winter, though some is left and coming out.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: Take all root rot

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonewall
Will corn meal cure take all root rot? A soil sample came back infected with "Gaeumannomyces graminis var. graminis" or take all root rot. Recommended action was removing top 2-3" inches of soil, treating with Bayleton or Heritage and resodding with centipede. The couryard has been resodded twice in the last 2 years and declined severely over the winter, though some is left and coming out.

Thanks.

StoneWall

Don't you just love to say Gaeumannomyces graminis. graminis, it is a tongue twister. Ggg is a soil born Fungus that attacks Stressed turf. There are no Resistant C-4 turfs that I know of. Ggg is a non select pathogen when it comes to roots. Symptoms will be the same as many other root stress Bio. Diagnose is better done in a lab with a culture. However early mornings you may see hyphae (mycelium) growing on top of the soil. Ggg is a disease of mismanagement and the lack of P-K-S. Phosphate Potassium and Sulfur. As well as over watering or poor drainage. Applications of Cheaper synthetic Fertilizers containing Chlorides will not help either.

Don't rush to resod until you can try a cure the problem. Ggg is soil born and until you can cure the problem you will just be feeding it. Fumigation is about the only 100% way of eliminating it. However there are some other soil sterility chemicals that might work as well. Vapan (sp?) is only one I can think of right now. IMHO to remove and replace the top 3 inches without treatment would only hidden the problem for a short while.

A better approach might be to treat heavy with Systemic Fungicides Like Bayleton, Heritage, Cleary 3336, Banner, Fungo, Aliette or Rubigan Etc. This would have to be done on a regular basic. Of course Ggg likes stressed roots therefore all Cultural turf management practices would have to be managed prober.

Corn meal would be like taking a nail clipper as a weapon to a Gun Fight.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I would try compost and peatmoss... there is studies out there that show they can be affective.
http://dallas.tamu.edu/People/pcolbaugh/PeatPoster.pdf
Old 05-03-2004, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim G
I would try compost and peatmoss... there is studies out there that show they can be affective.
http://dallas.tamu.edu/People/pcolbaugh/PeatPoster.pdf

Oops Looks like nail clipper can be a deadly weapon. Excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face.

Google can be a very valuable tool in our industry.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 05-04-2004, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Originally posted by RIC

Don't you just love to say Gaeumannomyces graminis. graminis, it is a tongue twister. Ggg is a soil born Fungus that attacks Stressed turf. There are no Resistant C-4 turfs that I know of. Ggg is a non select pathogen when it comes to roots. Symptoms will be the same as many other root stress Bio. Diagnose is better done in a lab with a culture. However early mornings you may see hyphae (mycelium) growing on top of the soil. Ggg is a disease of mismanagement and the lack of P-K-S. Phosphate Potassium and Sulfur. As well as over watering or poor drainage. Applications of Cheaper synthetic Fertilizers containing Chlorides will not help either.

Ric great info. I was wondering if you could further explain the part about mismanagement. How does the
Mismanagement of P-K-S cause this to happen? What do the chlorides do in cheaper fertilizer?

Fumigation is about the only 100% way of eliminating it. However there are some other soil sterility chemicals that might work as well. Vapan (sp?)

A better approach might be to treat heavy with Systemic Fungicides Like Bayleton, Heritage, Cleary 3336, Banner, Fungo, Aliette or Rubigan Etc. This would have to be done on a regular basic. Of course Ggg likes stressed roots therefore all Cultural turf management practices would have to be managed prober.

Ill bet the stuff you mentioned above works like a damn. Are there any side affects to using it? If I pick one, which is the safest to use? Do these chemicals only kill the fungus? If not, what else do they kill and for how long? Before I pull out the A-BOMB is there any thing else I should consider?

Thanks Tim G
Old 05-04-2004, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim G

Ill bet the stuff you mentioned above works like a damn. Are there any side affects to using it? If I pick one, which is the safest to use? Do these chemicals only kill the fungus? If not, what else do they kill and for how long? Before I pull out the A-BOMB is there any thing else I should consider?

Thanks Tim G
Yes Tim G there are a few other chemicals you might want to consider using.

Chlordane, DDT, Bromacil, Diquat, Tandex, Monutro, Diuron, Dalapon, Picloram, cacodylic acid, 2-4-D and 2-4-5-T. All of these will make a wonderful mix to keep Algae out of your Hot Tub. I strongly suggest that you swim in them regularly.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric, you forgot the cadnium and mercury based fungicides - what were you thinking?
What's wrong with a little heavy metals now and then-it is almost as good as arsennic for soil borne ants.
Seriously, I'm not aware of a non synthetic curative approach to most known C4, or C3 soil pathogens.
Usually, my clients don't want to wait that long.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by SWD
Ric, you forgot the cadmium and mercury based fungicides - what were you thinking?
What's wrong with a little heavy metals now and then-it is almost as good as arsenic for soil borne ants.
Seriously, I'm not aware of a non synthetic curative approach to most known C4, or C3 soil pathogens.

SWD

Actually There is enough Cadmium and Mercury in most organic sludge fertilizers already. Therefore I didn't feel the need to add them.

Yes without pesticides, over population in many countries would not be a problem. With out pesticides we would not ship US grain all over the world to feed that over population either. It is so unfortunate that we have these horrible pesticides.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow two of you now and still know one can answer one question that I asked
Ric said
Chlordane, DDT, Bromacil, Diquat, Tandex, Monutro, Diuron, Dalapon, Picloram, cacodylic acid, 2-4-D and 2-4-5-T. All of these will make a wonderful mix to keep Algae out of your Hot Tub. I strongly suggest that you swim in them regularly.

Donít get your dander up Ric Iíve read most of your posts. I know you like to demean people itís taken me an hour to get the tears out of my eyes so that I could type. Why do you insist on stooping lower than us people that you are educating. You have lots of great advice, after all I come to this forum to learn. I guess I touched a nerve you have a real love for chemicals and I apologize for getting you going.

I donít use chemical's cause my dad did. Iím trying to learn a new approach to taking care of things, which is what I think most people on this ORGANIC FORUM are doing. I simply asked you questions about the chemicals you use and got no reply. Evan if you would have said Nuke the yard but when your done, you may have to re-build the soil biology. Iíll let you in on something the soil is alive. The whole problem is we are lazy and impatient and like to let chemicals do the work for us. I understand though, we have to go from taking care of lawn, to feeding the people of the world. I get all melancholy when I go in my shed and see my old chemicals on the shelf, I pause and think to myself, ďI havenít used you in 2 years.Ē Then I go out side and hug my favorite tree.

Instead of wasting your air on me why donít you give stonewall some real advice and some explanation. After all Ive never seen Gaeumannomyces graminis whatcha ma call it.

SWD said
What's wrong with a little heavy metals now and then-it is almost as good as arsennic for soil borne ants.

And SWD, you should take the time to read the link as well thereís some good info there(this may be your non synthetic curative) . Who knows there maybe another approach to C4 and C3 pathogens what ever they are? Can you explain?
Sorry if my questions seem a little stupid at times Iím trying to learn.

Itís a good thing I had my mouth open, or that bird would have **** right on my face!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

take all kinds

Ric is alright, just a little opinionated. if you seek some alternatives try composted poultry manures to build surpressive soils. Cornell did some resarch you can access, and i have had great results with this method.

Take all root rot........... often i wonder if the people at the lab may have a sense of humor, or feel they need to justify the lab fee." hey we have not diognosed take all lately" yeah right Beavis..... take all he. he.......................
i picture my son and his friends running the lab.