Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2004, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Customer want to know how much mulch.

I have a customer that wants to know how much mulch I'm going to be putting down. I avoided the answer, saying that I wasn't at my computer at the time. I just told him somewhere between 10 and 13 yards. I don't think its a good idea to tell them the exact amount. I told a HOA how much I was going to use, and they wound up doing it themselves. Anyone else feel this way?

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 05-02-2004, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I always say "approximately this much, but it could go over, its real hard to get it exact". I don't have a problem with showing the customer the bill if need be. I charge $45 to $60 a yard installed.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I never give exact amounts. There paying for a completed job not buying mulch. When asked this question I just ask if they want an installed price or a price to have it deleivered. Deleivered price is always alot higher than usual so they think they are getting a deal to have it installed.

Mac
Old 05-02-2004, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When they ask, you say sure... 3 inches throughout the beds.
That's all they need to know.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Runner
When they ask, you say sure... 3 inches throughout the beds.
That's all they need to know.
This is the only answer we give also. As far as I am concerned they need to know total job price and depth that is it.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually estimate a yard or two more than I actually will need. It builds in more profit to the job. I've quoted jobs in the past where the homeowner will have the mulch delivered to their house after receiving my quote. I've enjoyed the sight of a nice leftover pile of mulch in their driveway after they are done.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

OK - I'll throw a curve. What if you were paying a subcontractor (such as someone who blows the mulch in) to do the job. Would you expect them to give you the amount of yards they used? Or would the total cost number be sufficient?
Old 05-04-2004, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always give them the information. They know that we make a profit, but we are doing the job. They pay because they want us to do it.

I know how much gas is wholesaling for, but that does not change the fact that I still pay at the pump.

I try to be as open as possible, been pretty good to me so far.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you every think they are asking because they just received another quote 200 dollars less than yours. The one thing to compare is the amount of material. If you are supplying them with 10 yards and someone else is supplying them with 5 yards. Or, if you let them know how much you might actually seem like you know what you are talking about. For instance, you tell the homeowner 10 yards and he/she comes back with, but the previous guy said it only required seven. You can go over the dimensions with them and explain your reasoning.

with that said, if you are under the impression they just had you run out to calculate the yard for them so they can go order it themselves, then f'um. how you can tell, sixth sense I guess.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no problem letting them know. I'm fine with total disclosure. If they are bold enough to ask how much I pay for it, i'll tell them. I do let them know that we make sure there is plenty to do the job right. On or billing statments we list how much we put down. I have found that most people respect it when your open and honest with them, I have nothing to hid. We have to make money at this, and I never apologize for my prices.