Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2004, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Member

roundup for bed prep?

have an install to do this weekend and was wondering how long should i wait to start install after laying out beds and spraying with roundup? (I am licensed) with all the rain i am concerned about when i can get out there to mark out beds and have enough time in between for install or should i just use a sod cutter?about 500 sq of bed area.thanks for any info!!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We've had luck with spraying on one day, then coming back and installing through the grass the next. Just make sure the grass is cut before you spray, and put a heavy coating of mulch down.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

d flex
so i could just spray my pattern then should i till the ground? it will be a raised bed ,kidney shaped to hide sewer drain vent, power box (in a development).I will either mow it close or weed whip the area.I was just concerned about planting to close to applying roundup. thanks for the info!
Old 05-07-2004, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Roundup is only active when applied to plant foliage. Therefore, you should be able to plant immediately. My only concern would be getting any undried Roundup on my skin.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
undried Roundup on my skin.

Are you kidding???? There is a time for full PPE and all, but are you actually afraid Roundup will burn you???

If you are, I've got news for you. IT WON'T!!!! Roundup is probably one of the safest chemicals on the market right now, so safe you probably could (but DON'T!) drink it once it's mixed and it wouldn't hurt you. Maybe a little case of the runs, but that's it.... Don't do it though, there is no reason.

Spray the bed, come back the next day and add whatever soil you need to. Plant the plants, don't till the grass. Edge and mulch. It's that simple. Roundup needs time to work, and tilling will severely reduce the effects.

The only reason to spray one day and come back the next is to lesson the chances of leaving footprints of dead grass in the yard. Once it's dry, you can do anything you want, short of saving the plant/grass.

Dan
Old 05-14-2004, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Roundup doesn't do a d*** thing to my skin. D Felix knows what he is talking about here!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 03:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I just read the Roundup Pro label and it says to wait 7 days before verticutting, slicing etc. turf for replanting to allow time for the product to translocate into the roots (see www.cdms.net). I would wait at least 3 days to make sure the translocation is complete before covering with mulch. If you wait a week you will be able to tell if you missed any spots...might save you a headache later. Neal
Old 05-17-2004, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use roundup weather max and you only need 30 min before it is well absorbed into the plants. Just dont spray anything that you want to keep. I do the same as D Felix.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by D Felix
We've had luck with spraying on one day, then coming back and installing through the grass the next. Just make sure the grass is cut before you spray, and put a heavy coating of mulch down.
same thing here
Old 05-17-2004, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
same thing here
Wish I knew this last week

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"