Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2004, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

How to 'kill' my entire lawn

I built a house last spring and had the lawn hydroseeded. Turns out the company used bad seed. They agree the lawn must be reseeded, but they want to use Roundup to kill the entire lawn. I'm looking for an alternative, natural solution. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Old 05-03-2004, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Vinegar

Look through the FAQ or search for info in this forum.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

You can use Scythe. This is a organic based non-selective weed killer. It is very effectivce and made out of fatty-acids. Seed may take weeks to grow in round up if the residual is still in the ground. I recommend you wait one week before you re-seed with scythe.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

round up passes thru the soil in 7 days.

I use round up mixed with scythe
Old 05-03-2004, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cool

A few years ago i was working for one of the biger lawn sprying companys, this person asked me ,the same question so i said use roundup on wait 7 days spray again wait then check it again.

I went back at the end of the month and saw what had happend, they told me they did not have time to use round up, and a locial slaes man at HD. recomened some thing called Vapam(sp), nothing left of yard and would ever grow there again................:alien:
Old 05-04-2004, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, seed can be planted immediately after R-up, but waiting until the herbicide is completely translocated is preferred. R-up breaks down quickly in contact with soil, generally 24 -36 hours. Since Scythe is a contact herbicide, it only burns the top growth, so viable root systems will still remain. I'd be more concerned about the amount of acetic acid in vinegar that would be needed to kill off the vegetation than I would with the R-up.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 05-04-2004, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was always my understanding that R-up had no residual.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using Roundup (glyphosate) to kill a lawn is standard procedure. Probably glyphosate is less harmful than many chemicals, but there may still be some "issues".

Vinegar can make the soil very acidic if lots of it is used. Dave (the moderator) points out that vinegar is correctly used as a foliar spray, but it can also be used as a soil drench. So it may be tricky using enough to do the job and not enough to make the soil unhospitable for grass for a while. Note that 10 or 20 percent vinegar is used, rather than the 5 percent which is what you would find in a grocery store.

One thing that may work for you is to cover the lawn with plastic. Black plastic will shade out the grass and may kill it within a week or two. Clear plastic will "cook" the grass if the temps are high enough. This can give the same results in a few days. Works best when temp is 90-100 degrees. You don't say what type of grass, but if it is bermuda or if the grass is well-established, the plastic sheet method may take longer or be less effective. Black and clear plastic sheeting is commonly available at hardware stores
in the paint section. I have used both to kill crabgrass in bermuda grass lawns - the crabgrass dies quickly, the bermuda turns yellow and greens back up within a few days after plastic is removed. Use bricks or boards to hold it down.

Could be interesting to let us know what you decided to do and how it worked out. Also - what type of grass is it, what is bad about it, and by last spring I assume you mean a year ago?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I like the plastic idea for spot killing. Never would have thought of that. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

hire the leader in lawn care industry, regular program. you will be renovating before you know it!