Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2004, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Home Made Chain Striper for JD4100

Heres a pic of a striping kit I put together for my JD 4100. It raises and lowers with the deck.. both being attached to the 3 point hitch. The rollers are made of steel rod welded to each of the last chain links and have PVC tubing slipped over top of them so it will roll freely. When its lowered there's about 3/4 of the chain on the ground keeping it from dancing and hopefully giving enough weight to show a stripe. There was absolutly no room between the rear tire and deck for a roller even though that would have been alot better.I just got my deck and turf tires on today so we'll see tomorrow how it works
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Just wondering how your chain striper works for you? Anything you would have done differently? I have a JD 955 that I was going to make a striper for. Haven't found any rollers to use & was thinking of going the chain route. Studied that deck while off the tractor this winter. Same problem as you have, not enough room to attach anything to the deck.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Ron. Ive been using the chain striper for a few weeks now. I actually dont stripe that often b/c of the endless K-turns thats involved but when i do its looks decent. Theres a pic below of some from today. Overall the raising and lowering of the chains works awsome on the 3 point hitch, dont even have to think about it. The only thing is Id prob put more weight dragging on the ground.. Not sure if bigger chain would work or heavier bar/rod on ends... or maybe just solid chain all the way accross like Eric Elm had on his Dixie.. seemed to work good for him Im actually going to sell the 4100, its not getting used enough to justify keeping it and its an expensive toy If you want more pics of it up or down or whatever let me know ill send them along.

Lloyd
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2004, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Lloyd, Take a few more pics if you don't mind. Did you just fabricate the frame & weld the chain to it? I have a tow bar across the bottom of my 3 pt. I was thinking of making another with the chains welded on to it. I mow about 8 acres on my property, Lately I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Ferris ZTR. Still would use the JD for the field & I have other uses for it & the quick tach loader. Sometimes the 955 is a little too big for around the house & I'm thinking I can zip around with a ZTR alot faster.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry about the delay.. been hectic here. Im about 1-2 days behind schedule Better than no work at all i guess... About the striper I made it out of flatbar (way to heavy for what I needed but we had it laying around) and welded the chain to the back of it. I took a few more pics, hopefully thy help. I modeled the triangle and supports from my Puma snowblower.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2004, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

another pic of the striper...
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2004, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

And one last one of it on the ground.. def needs to be longer/heavier
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2004, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

oops.. thats not on the ground.. mixed up the last two
Old 05-15-2004, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. One thing I was thinking is, you have to make sure to lift it up before backing up or you can run over the chains.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

As they are right now they wont go under the tires when you back up.. any more than 3" longer and they prob would tho. That part just happened to work out, I didnt even think of it till I had it on and was relieved when they came just short of the rear tires. Im actually getting rid of my deck and turf tires for that tractor so I have no use for the striper anymore. I might get rid of the chains and turn it into some other attachment... not sure what yet tho.