Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2004, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've just about had it with insurance companies

I wasted a lot of time today trying to set up simple commercial liablity insurance for my new operation here in Florida. After 12 years with Nationwide in Atlanta they claimed I couldn't use the same agent here or get insurance through them. The agent I used for personal auto was terrible and mumbled something about them not issuing that coverage here. Which I knew wasn't true, but I can't MAKE them do it, can I? ( I can and will find another home and auto agent, though). Then I called another one agency at Nationwide and he acted like he was doing me a favor, wouldn't send me an application, wanted me to come in and fill one out (only a 30 minute drive from here) quoted "around $450" but wouldn't be more specific, kept claiming he THOUGHT he needed a Federal taxpayer ID #, even though I'm a sole proprieter and had insurance with them for a decade w/o one, etc, etc. So I told him I'd find it elsewhere, since he wanted me to send a check w/o even being able to answer any basic questions, such as oh....WHAT IS COVERED!

Then a company I found here on lawnsite that specializes in insuring green industry folks called me back. The lady was nice, but said I didn't have a 3 year track record they require to insure people, nor sufficient gross revenues. Huh? So just charge me what you charge a guy for the minimum revenue, fools! And since when is 12 years with insurance in the identical business not a track record?

A sole proprieter is a BETTER risk than someone with employees for obvious reasons, so why not insure us?

I then called allstate, who proudly proclaim on their advertising that they offer business insurance, only to hear "we don't offer that" on the phone. Thankfully she referred me to another company where I got a voicemail.

What is with these people? Does anybody actually want to make money selling insurance to us?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try Hartford Good price-good service.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes, they make so much money SCAMMING US, that we aint even worth talkin to. insure everything, try to put in a claim, you get the run around, they try like hell to back out of paying, if they do pay, they act like they r doing u a favor, or they drop you. insurence is nothing more than a scam and forced gambling
Old 05-05-2004, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

insurance

I have Nationwide for my home and called my agent went down and in 30 min. had a $1,000,000 policy for $600 a year. Iam a sole proprietor and new to the business he was glad to get my business. I live in Odessa Fl. I also called several other companies and the price range from $450-700 a year. Went with Nationwide because of it being a reputable company.
Just keep trying Iam sure someone will want your business.
good luck
Gravely 252Z
Gravely Pro G 32 WB
Skindawa LE 260
Kawasaki KTR 27
Kawasaki HG 400
Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe you are dealing with non-reputable insurance agents. Idiots if you ask me. Any GOOD insurance agent will gladly sit down with you and go over the specifics (line by line if asked) of any insurance contract. If they don't, something is wrong. BYE-BYE No time to waste with them.

You need to speak with people in your area and go by word of mouth, not advertisements. People in this forum should be able to help you with that (I would hope.).
Old 05-05-2004, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just changed Ins. co. this spring. A better policy and I saved $2400 a year. I hope you guys are aware that your vehicles are not covered by your personal policy for business.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just switched to state farm. Good luck getting something you will be happy with down here. I think the dumbest people become insurance agents, and not being able to read is required.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got 1$M coverage from American Family & it runs $384 a year. Had two claims in 4 years & it never went up (Knock on wood).
Old 05-05-2004, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't figure out who are the biggest liars, lawyers or insurance salesmen.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Since insurance is the topic, I will ask this: I have a 1 Million liability and 300K vehicle coverage on my policy with Nationwide, and I am paying $2700 a year. Sole proprietor, equipment and trailor covered with policy. I noted a price of $600 a year in a post out of Florida, with a simliar coverage, my question is does location have anything to do with insurance costs, also is $2700 a year resonable for my coverage?