Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2004, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure if Grange insurance is in florida but check them out just in case. Always have treated me with respect and had one claim one time about some property damage (slide into a building while plowing a steep hill - cracked a few bricks and smashed the gutters and no damage to the bumper of the truck). The main office called to verify what happened and said consider it taken care of. It was fixed by the next snowfall and rate never went up.(that year anyway)
Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by McNeal Lawn
Since insurance is the topic, I will ask this: I have a 1 Million liability and 300K vehicle coverage on my policy with Nationwide, and I am paying $2700 a year. Sole proprietor, equipment and trailor covered with policy. I noted a price of $600 a year in a post out of Florida, with a simliar coverage, my question is does location have anything to do with insurance costs, also is $2700 a year resonable for my coverage?
The biggest expense on the Ins. premium is the auto coverage. My policy costs me $4400 $2 mil liability, 2 owners,3 employees,3 trucks, 2 trailers , $50.000 shop, and $40,000 on equipment and pesticide coverage. I was paying $6000. The florida guys are not insuring the vehicles or trailers.

Last edited by specialtylc; 05-05-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by DJL
I believe you are dealing with non-reputable insurance agents. Idiots if you ask me. Any GOOD insurance agent will gladly sit down with you and go over the specifics (line by line if asked) of any insurance contract. If they don't, something is wrong. BYE-BYE No time to waste with them.

You need to speak with people in your area and go by word of mouth, not advertisements. People in this forum should be able to help you with that (I would hope.).
Take it from me.... what he said is the case here probably. Other possibilities are that you may be calling agencies that do very little LCO liability insurance, or there may not be enough money in it for certain agencies, for it to be worth the hassle.

Ask around, see where a few of the local yocals are insured, if they are.

As for all the negative insurance comments I'll just say this...
If you fell like you are getting scammed, find another company/agent.
If they don't pay claims and fast, find another company/agent.
If you are unhappy with the premiums of your 'good' company, be my guest and go with a cheaper company like above.

See there are a few funny things about insurance. People loathe paying for it, but never seem to mind when it pays off. People complain about paying for it for years and never having a claim to get something out of it. Dumb, be glad you never had a claim, you're lucky. Some people look at it like gambling, but the true gamble for you is not having it in the first place. The insurance company is the one gambling.... on you.

As for all of the negative insurance agent comments I'll just say this....
There are all kinds of people in any type of business. They range from top notch to crooks and idiots. Saying they are all crooks or idiots is no different than placing the same stereotype on LCO's. It's funny how we all want so badly to be respected as a whole for what we do for a living, while gladly bad mouthing other professions.

Also, you can't blame and agent/agency for focusing on what they do best. Most businesses have to pick a niche to survive. In insurance that means several things. They have to settle for the most profitable thing they can somehow manage to sell enough of to make a living. I mean do we not have a main line we do? And do we not also tend to avoid things that create huge headaches and next to no profit? I know I do. As a matter of fact, when I was an active broker I treated P-C & L insurance like the plague and avoided it altogether.

With the above said, you also cannot expect to just pick up the phone, call any P&C agent and expect him to be 100% knowledgeable about his L policy if he has one. You all have no earthly idea how much information has to be absorbed to be fluent on just a single policy.

So for those who think insurance agents are dumb, I challenge you to try to become fully licensed, certified, insured, bonded, covered by E&O...and then go at it a while, earn a living and keep up your continuing education. You'll find out you stuck your foot in your mouth before your second day of school, much less passing the bar for just one license. You'll think pesticide licenses come out of Cracker Jack boxes by then.

If you are serious about getting insurance and you're having trouble, then ask for a referral or visit the insurance specialty section of your yellow pages. Then call and make an appointment. Go in and show you are serious. P-C & L agencies get hundreds of window shopper and price shopper calls a day. There time is just as valuable as yours.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 05-05-2004, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have 1mill / 2mill liability 500K on my truck, 25K on my trailer and contents and I pay $1700. Location makes a big difference. I don't really know why. Other than insurance agents are like lawyers, next on the firing line.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What blows my mind about Nationwide is that I have been a customer of theirs for 24 years, carry my home and personal auto with them, previously had my business coverage with them, and they act like they're not even interested. The problem is that they seem to have ZERO management over the agents. I could pull $4,000/year from them tomorrow and they don't care. Only what comission they will get today. Which on a business policy like mine would be pretty small.

And people may not like hearing this, but I have lived here several months now and both residents here and other lco's in the area have confirmed it. This area of South Florida is full of New Yorkers and they seem to have a real attitude problem. They just have no clue how to act. Rude, blunt, not an ounce of friendly in their tone. The guy today was, by his accent, from that general area of the country. Seems like they are miserable and love spreading the misery around.

The two somewhat helpfull people I spoke to today about it weren't exactly southerners, but they didn't have that nasty outlook either.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out the Ohio Casualty Group.... I live in TN but have OCG through a local agent in Nashville. I had all of my equipment stolen and they really came through for me. Visit ocas.com for more info.... GL
Old 05-06-2004, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

alls i have to say is that i hate insurance companies. they are ripping america off
dual 10K RPM 36gigers running raid0
this mutha rocks!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. Find a competent agent that wants your business and knows contracting. Refer to Envy's post.
2. Yes, people are sometimes ripped off by insurance companies, unfair claims practices or individual adjusters, but the fact is most people never read the policy and have no idea what they are buying. An insurance policy is a legal contract. Read it! Educate yourself. Don't purchase something to protect the largest financial investments you make and then pay it no attention. Be proactive.
3. Keep in mind that insurance fraud and inflating claims are common. People think it is the insurance companies money. News flash, it is your money. The company just holds it to pay those policyholders unlucky enough to have a claim plus expenses.
4. Try to finance a house, buy a car, or any other larger financial transaction without insurance. No way, no how. Insurance is the grease for the wheels of commerce. Ohio helped DK out after the theft and (I hope) he is back in business.
5. The point was made well that everyone complains about insurance, until they need it. Done right, insurance will save you from financial ruin.
End of rant.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by brucec32

This area of South Florida is full of New Yorkers and they seem to have a real attitude problem.
But they do know everything right? They probably have a "paying on time" problem also.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Insurance sucks the big one. I pay $750.00 per year on my commercial auto, which seem high to me, since I won't put 10,000 miles on the truck in a year driving two blocks to the next lawn.

I pay $1,297.00 per year for liability insurance. Last year was year one, and gross sales were $32K. So far this year, gross sales are $19K.

I pay $1,459 per year for workman's comp insurance on one $8.50 per hour employee.

That's $3,506 per year for a solo operator with one employee. And I just know I'll never have a claim. At thirty bucks a cut, which is hard to get on smaller lawns around here, that's 116 cuts just to cover the annual insurance. A two man crew can cut 20 in a 10 or 11 hour day. That's one week of 32 just for insurance each year, if you're lucky enough to have a full schedule.

I hate insurance.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper