Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2004, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

finding customers later in the season

I was just wondering how you guys go about finding customers after the first months fury of calls is passed. Do you just continue to use the same methods of passing out fliers and placing adds, or do you try other methods? The first month I got about 25 calls, and the last 3 weeks have brought only 1.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

When marketing stops so will the calls. When you got the 25 calls use that same marketing tactics. Remember people always seemed to be unhappy with there current company where do they turn? It is either the phone book or the flyer in there face. It is all about timing. Just be sure to pass the flyers out in different neighborhoods till you have done your entire section for the year. After that then start overlapping...
Old 05-11-2004, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I leave a flyer anytime I drive by a place currently being mowed by the competition and leave this information: My flyer reads "I noticed that your current lawn care company is not performing at what I consider to be a high level of quality. A Cut Above never leaves your lawn until we are satisfied. My quote for your property would be $_____, please call if you'd like to discuss about this year or next.

I'm only part time now, and I get tons this way
Old 05-11-2004, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chevyman1
I leave a flyer anytime I drive by a place currently being mowed by the competition and leave this information: My flyer reads "I noticed that your current lawn care company is not performing at what I consider to be a high level of quality. A Cut Above never leaves your lawn until we are satisfied. My quote for your property would be $_____, please call if you'd like to discuss about this year or next.

I'm only part time now, and I get tons this way
I think about doing that all the time but what do the people cutting do? If i were cutting and someone left a flyer i'd go up and rip it up (not to be a d##k, just saying i would and alot others too).
Old 05-11-2004, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

chevyman,
Very tacky, lousy business practise. It will bite you in the _ _ _ someday. If I am ask by a person to give an est., and they currently have someone mowing their lawn, my first question is; are the current LCOs doing a good job. If they say yes, my response to them is: "I will not take work from someone who is performing good lawncare work. Keep em' "

GW
Old 05-11-2004, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Taking work from someone who is doing a good job is not poor business pratices or imoral. If the prospects calls you for a price quote chances are they feel they are paying to much. Competition is moral and appreciated by consumers. Don't you ever price shop for the best deal? If we don't we will be throwing $1,000's away.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say as long as your not underpricing your own work then whats wrong with it? I mean if you go up and say you'll do it for 20 bucks when its a 35 dollar job and the other place is doing it for 35 then yea thats just stupid. I see nothing wrong with it, just I think the guys that are cutting might see something wrong with it and then you got alot of lawn companies putting you on their s#@! list.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

mjoaaa,
Undercutting someones price is what many here have a problem with. It's called LOWBALLING, and is despised by all pros. I would never target another LCO lawn if the job were being done right. I never said it was imoral, just that I would rather have a higher business standard of conduct than that.
And it will come back and bite ya.

GW
Old 05-11-2004, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I see nothing wrong with leaving fliers at properties being serviced by another LCO. There is nothing wrong with it, and there is nothing about it that amounts to a low standard of conduct in my opinion. This is the US and people have a right to be entertained by different choices. If the other LCO has a problem with it, then he can put fliers out at the properties I service. Big deal... I have a pretty good business relationship with every client I have and I am not worried about losing any of them. If I do, there will always be someone to replace them.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Then I guess we should never hear any complaints out of you about lowballing scrubs undercutting you.

GW