Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-07-2000, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new John Deere 1600 WAM (wide area mower). It has the 51 hp. engine and 128&quot; cutting width. I have about 50 hours on it so far with very pleasing results. I would like to talk with anyone else here that is using a WAM in their business. Thanks...<p>Later,<br>-Ryan-<p>----------<br>Ryan Young (Young Farms, Inc.)<br>Underwood, IA
Old 06-07-2000, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Ryan,<p>Right now I am using 72&quot; Lazer Z on regular commericial jobs, but have been considering the wide area mowers. I have 80 HP tractor with a 15' batwing that I use at large industrial parks, but it is not really feasible to haul for smaller commercial jobs. I have looked at couple (Toro and Bobcat) and the price on them were in the 50K to 70k range how much did the JD run you. What type of productivity numbers are you getting with it.<p>Jay
Old 06-07-2000, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Ryan,<br> I would also be interested in the price you paid. I have also been eyeing the JD. I have one account that is about 80 acres.
Old 06-07-2000, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I really like the WAM so far. Have had my best day so far at 62 acres in one day. From our rough calculations it has equalled out to be approximately 7 3/4 acres per hour. The manufacturer claims 8.5 I think. So far though, the John Deere has been a great mower. I looked at the 15' batwings also with a tractor and this is much more manuverable, less $$$ and is easier to haul. I have pictures of it running if anyone would like to see. Take care and hope to hear from you, please feel free to e-mail me at ryanyoun@hotmail.com<p>Later,<br>-Ryan-<p>----------<br>Ryan Young (Young Farms, Inc.)<br>Underwood, IA
Old 06-08-2000, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That mower would kick some but big time!!!!How much did it set you back?Have you cut with it in the rain yet???Hows the cut?A company use to do the city contract in town with a big winged toro.It was great but it left ruts in the early spring and when it cut in the wet it would leave clumps the size of you head or bigger all over the place!It looked terrible.I would be interested in hearing your answers!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 06-09-2000, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Adam,<p>This mower really doest run, that's for sure. The decks are all rear discharge and it will ball up when it's wet, but we only mow in the dry with it anyhow. I have the full light package on it (4 lights on front, and 2 on back, one on either side) We have mowed till 10:30 before at night with it. Also added a stereo with soundproof headphones. Anyhow, relaly a nice rig though, have pictures if you would like to see them. e-mail me at ryanyoun@hotmail.com<p>Later,<br>-Ryan-
Old 06-10-2000, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was at a municipal sale today. Toro 455's went for $5700 Can had about 3000 hrs I think. A Jacobsen with batwings went for $4700 and in pretty good shape. Three year old Land Pride pto driven tow behind units with a 6'main deck and 5' wings went for $975 and $1475 Can. They were in pretty good shape, one small job would pay for them if you had the tractor.