Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2004, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Moles Everywhere!

One of my best lawns is infested with moles and seems to keep getting worse every year. Ive tried poisons, traps, and vibration rods but nothings seems to work. Any suggestions?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Griff i received a magazine last week and this guy is selling a book about home made remedies and in there he has one for moles ! it sounds funky but what do you have to loose? It's 1-1/2 tbsp. of tabasco sauce, 1 tbsp. of liguid dish soap, 1tsp. of chili powder and 1 qt. of water ~ he says to simply pour this tonic in the mole runways and they'll run away! Cheap too! no fooling it's called Jerry bakers gardening remedies and there's a bunch of other stuff that might work on other things as well? who new? mowjoeman
Jolin lawns plus ... Cuttin grass and Taken Names - In The Biz Going Into The Third Season And Lovin It! 87 ford 4.9, P.u.- customized 6x12 landscape single axle trailer - 95 proline 620 toro 42 inch deck. srm260 echo trimmer, stihl FC-85 edger, echo power pb-650. stihl HT-101 pole pruner.stihl HS 85 single sided 30" hedge trimmer. stihl chain saws and various small hand tools, pruners lopers etc. and growing.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi mowjoeman,

Here is a post that may be helpful.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Let me know when you find something that works. I will market the heck out of it. Worked for a fertilizing company for a few years who had a 5 million research center. Believe me there is nothing on the market that is 100% effective or effective enough to have an impact.

I used to tell my clients to grab a shot gun and a 12 pack and wait for em'. It let them know I couldn't do take care of it and placed humor on the conversation. Depending on how the conversation is going I would even tell to invite me over when they got the 12 pack.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:52 AM
LawnSite Member

The reason why you have this mole problem is that the lawn has grubs. So, if you kill the grub problem the moles will leave.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Grubs NOT THE issue with Moles.

It is a common mistake to associate moles with grub infestation. In some aspects you are correct. Moles do feed on grubs, but also feed on other insects that live beneath the soil. Like earth worms for example.

While you should control any grub problem that exists within the lawn (no more the 3 grubs per square foot), the moles will still have plenty of food sources to feed on in the same lawn. Ultimately truly minimize your chances for successfully ridding yourself of the mole problem.

If you sell a grub control to control the mole issue, make sure your set - up a realistic expectation that the moles good be back, and don't guarantee the service or do and get a year of hedache.

Good luck - Mike
Old 05-16-2004, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

mjoaaa

I think I might have found a trap that works, the Nash Choker Loop, just bought one 3 days ago and have already caught 4 moles out of the same lawn with it.

lol, I like the comment about the shotgun and 12 pack too, I've actually done that on my lawn, and it does work nicely, but I think I'd probably loose a few customers if I tried it on theirs.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

like others I've found nothing that works but a sharp tile spade and alot of time.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a guy out here called The Mole Man. He has a mole killing bus going. He sets traps all around the props and checks them 2x per week. If people complain about moles I either tell them to get a cat or call the mole man.

Old 05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you got the time, push thin sticks in the fresh run tunnels about every 4'. Stay back with your shovel, shotgun, hammer, whatever.
When the sticks move, you've got your mole pegged.

Not very efficient but if you get $$ per each mole caught it might be an enjoyable event.