Register free!

Old 05-10-2004, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Canadian Pesticide Ban

TORONTO, Canada - Toronto homeowners and lawn care operators could soon be allowed to spray herbicides on lawns because two city council committees have fundamentally watered down a new pesticide bylaw.

In a 6-5 vote, councillors opted to allow residents to use chemicals if the amount of weeds on their lawns reaches as little as 5 percent of the total area. The decision, at a joint meeting of the works and economic development and parks committees, essentially takes the teeth out of this controversial bylaw.

Last night's decision will go to city council for final approval later this month,

"It will be business as usual for pesticide spraying in Toronto," said Shelley Petrie, executive director of the Toronto Environmental Alliance, which had lobbied hard for a stiff bylaw.

"We will not reduce pesticide spraying by even 1 percent or 1 litre of pesticides in this city," she told reporters after the vote.

The proposal allows for spraying if weeds cover 5 percent to 10 percent of private lawns, golf clubs, lawn bowling clubs, cemeteries and irrigated sports fields.

Petrie urged city councillors to adopt the tougher recommendations from the Toronto board of health that call for no spraying of weeds on private property.

"Dandelions do not cause cancer. However, pesticides do. It's a simple as that," she said.

Councillor Case Ootes (Ward 29, Toronto-Danforth), who put forward the motions to allow for the spot spraying, said reason must prevail.

"There are all sorts of risks in life. Five thousand people are killed by cars each year, but we're not going to ban cars," Ootes said. "I think we have to take a balanced approach here. There is an economic impact (of a blanket pesticide ban). There is an impact on jobs."

Lorraine Van Haastrecht, who represents lawn care operators, was pleased with yesterday's vote.

"This means that the city of Toronto can reduce the use of pesticides responsibly," she said.

The city's controversial pesticide bylaw, which the chemical companies fought tooth and nail, was approved in principle last May after a long, drawn-out emotional debate. It officially went into effect in April with a focus on public education, allowing residents to use organic treatment methods.

Letters of caution would first be issued before $255 fines are issued starting in September, 2005.

As part of a compromise motion to get the bylaw passed last year, council never made a decision on when pesticides or herbicides could be used in exceptional cases of a weed or pest infestation.

Over the past few months, city staff studied the matter and recommended at the joint committee meeting last night that herbicides be banned altogether on private property.

Councillor Maria Augimeri (Ward 9, York Centre), who supported an outright ban, wanted to see a tougher stance, arguing it's the job of councillors to be out in front in these areas.

More than 70 people appeared before the councillors yesterday, speaking passionately on both sides of the issue.

Sandy Bentley, a Toronto homeowner, argued she has worked hard to cultivate a beautiful lawn and doesn't want it turned into a weedy mess. "My lawn is too big to get on my knees to weed it."

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

reason prevails.....this time

A victory for a rational approach. This was accomplished by a large number of dedicated lco's, who went to the grass root level and presented thier case.
Very important to continue to do so. These extremist groups will not be going away.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

''...Others were vehemently opposed to pesticide use, citing health concerns including recent warnings from the Ontario College of Family Physicians that pesticides appear to be linked to increased risk of cancer and birth defects.''

just thought i would add the last paragraph from the article, just thought the whole article should be here...

How did you find that article before me, ric ?...toronto is only 60 miles away from me. Thanks for posting it.

my concern is the 'uneducated' homeowner..
'this must be good for the lawn, the bag says so....hmmm, if little bit is good, more must be better...''

i think we should ban cars... LOL...
...a bit of an extreme example dont ya think?

dont ya think there is a little too much hype around this whole issue?
The media has a habit of blowing things out of proportion from either extreme.

seems to me the point is to REDUCE pesticide use , not eliminate it.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by woodycrest
'How did you find that article before me, ric ?...toronto is only 60 miles away from me. Thanks for posting it.
I guess it is like those Traditional European Greens.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

whoops,,changed their mind again

Toronto has gone green.

City councillors decided yesterday — once again — to ban all pesticides from private property. But they've given residents more time to get used to the idea, delaying enforcement with homeowners for more than three years.....

heres the link...
http://www.thestar.ca/NASApp/cs/Cont...arSource=email
Old 05-30-2004, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Greener Pastures provides organic alternatives to traditional
pesticides being ban in many cities across Canada.

Currently over 100 million sq ft of properties in Minnesota are using this Organic Weed Management Program.

Monteal and suburbs are also embracing this approach and by years end will have broadbased support from lawn care services,
golf courses, city officials and consumers.

In short, don't panic about losing traditional pesticides. Effective
and affordable solutions have already been developed and now patented are will shortly be available for use all over North America.

This is a new, profitable era for turf care services, not the end of your world.

See this link for some insight into this.
www.allaboutweeds.com
Old 05-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by greenermark
Greener Pastures provides organic alternatives to traditional
pesticides being ban in many cities across Canada.

Currently over 100 million sq ft of properties in Minnesota are using this Organic Weed Management Program.

Monteal and suburbs are also embracing this approach and by years end will have broadbased support from lawn care services,
golf courses, city officials and consumers.

In short, don't panic about losing traditional pesticides. Effective
and affordable solutions have already been developed and now patented are will shortly be available for use all over North America.

This is a new, profitable era for turf care services, not the end of your world.

See this link for some insight into this.
www.allaboutweeds.com
Greenermark, You are 100% correct. We already have a proven program. We are growing everyday, and the pest control companies can not stand it.

Thanks,

Ron
1-888-224-8275
http://info.biolsinc.com
Old 06-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Banned

I just gotta say I'm for the Great Canadian Pesticide Ban.
My next trip to Markham, Ont- not only will I bring Marlboros but I'll also bring Roundup and TriMec. I'll return with my Cuban Rum and Cigars!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greener Pastures, plz tell us how you control weeds in lawns organically. Your method will have been discussed already in this forum but you probably have more experience with it. I assume from your site that it is a heat method probably the infra-red weeder but im not sure. I hope I dont have to buy a franchise to find out which of the alternatives you use.