Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Pain in my A$$ Pampass Grass Removal

ok so anyone her got a great method of removing these lovely sawblade grasses of Gods design?

I've chopped them in half with a chainsaw and dug them out with a shovel...dug them out then yanked them with a truck... But with both these methods I always start thinking, "there's got to be an easier way" I guess I could get a bobcat and just yank them out of the ground, but getting a bobcat on this job would just be dumb...

I got 3 BIG pampas grasses to remove... Whats the secret recipe!!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mini-excavator. Plain and simple.

Warm season grasses are a MAJOR PITA to remove, or even devide.

If you can get a skidsteer with forks or a bucket in there, use it. Or a tractor with a bucket. You'll be glad you did, it will save a LOT of cussing and sweating....

Dan
Old 05-11-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

TNT in copiuos quantities..................................LOL!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Man I hate Pampass Grass. I just got lucky the other day. Went to remove one and it popped right out. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. If you can get a Mini excavator in, they work great, although that would greatly increase you costs on the job. If it's one or two,, digging works best. I usually sharpen my shovel blades so they'll cut right through the roots, and don't forget to call Miss Utility!

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison
Old 05-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Banned

If you do not remove or stir up a large area around pampas grass, there will be chutes coming up from the roots, so you may have to monitor the area and get up a few more bunches that may pop up.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't everyone just LOVE getting Pompass Ass Grass caught in their Weed Whackers??
AAAARRRRRGGGGG
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

We recently removed 75 of these little devils, each about 18-24 inches in diameter. we Used a long betal pry bar which we stuck down in the ground on the back side of the bush, wrapped a chain around the push and bar and hooked the other end to a truck, with one guy driving and two pushing down on the bar they would pull right out, took 10 minutes per plant. The bar keeps the chain from slipping off the top of the plant as well provides the leverage to pull the sucker out of the ground. After that just load them into a truck or trailer and take them away. Amazingly, most of our pampas was picked up by people at the restaurant that were watching and were actually WANTING pampas grass in their yard. I feel bad for them now. Be careful with this method though, the guys holding the pry bar can get flung around if the bar slips from under the plant. We didn't hvae any injuries, but as i was looking back in the mirror (a/c was so nice) i saw my guys getting jarred around. But itw as efficient....my 2 cents...
Old 03-10-2005, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

This summer I had to remove about 20 of these and all I had was a couple of shovels and another guy. I was beat by the end of the day. That was some hard work.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand the disdain felt towards this wonderfully natural break. One as a wind break, and two as a visual break. The neighbors have a couple of motorhomes that are parked in their added on driveway, and they are barely visible behind our 4 "bushes".

The ONLY thing I dislike is the friggin blowing seed crap at that one or two times a year.

Why so many problems with trimming? Long as you have a mower with a nice trim side, you should be clear of the leaves. Unless of course they are in an area where you can't use a mower.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One word..... backhoe