Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-12-2004, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Swapping Walker Motors

My 20hp kohler has gone to the graveyard, and was wondering if any of you guys have put in a new motor yourself??? Is it very difficult, is there anything I should know before I start, any input would be greatly appreciated. Got a million questions if someone has a million answers.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I my be sticking my foot in my mouth here but I may be of some help. Ask way.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

LAWNPROzII,
If your mechanically incline.... Go for It!

I've just installed a new 20hp in one of my Walkers... took about half a day for me to do alone. I also installed on the same unit... the new 2004 exhaust system (which is REALLY nice), that took extra time (2 hrs )

How old is your Walker? How many hours on the machine now? Are you the original owner?

Bryan
Old 05-16-2004, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm no master mechanic by no means but have always been able to get around tinkering. My biggest concern would probably be the hydros, do I have to do anything with them while I'm taking the motor out???
1995 48" GHS Walker Original Motor with 2700 hrs. on it. Not the original owner.

Thanks for replying guys I will probably PM with any questions once I get into this project.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

No, You do not have to touch the Hydro's/Blower/T box(right side of blower) when just replacing the motor.

UNLESS... with a machine of that age... You MAY want to INSPECT and/or replace anything worn while its easier to get to AND tied up???

Bryan
Old 06-07-2004, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I finally convinced the boss to buy new 20 hp kohlers instead of dickin' around with old crap. 2700 hrs is a very good mileage. Rebuilding is too expensive and you don't even get a new starter!Spend the extra dollars for a walker replacement, not just any kohler because you'll have too many old parts to swap. You'll need a good pully puller (and while you're at it, maybe a new pully). Everything should fit exactly unless the frame is bent. All pullys should line up flush on the shafts. An average guy can lift the engine in(but not the bucket) so a helper is better. Lastly, get a tiny tach ($40 fun and useful other ways) too set the max rpm throttle cable. Strangely, I had to tap the engine mounting holes. Take your time.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

p.s. With that age of machine, you might have to consider; a new blower or impeller w/bearings(expensive), replacing all bolts everywhere(cheap hardware store stuff) and a new jackshaft drive pully(reasonable) to keep from squeeling. And don't forget to smear a little anti-seize on the exhaust manifold bolts.