Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2004, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I EMBARKED on a new field

I sprayed my backyard test plot with Embark today. Its not the super expensive brand of PGR but I figure I'd start here. I mixed 1.8 oz per gallon and used a nonionic surfactant along with a blue dye colorant. I sprayed about a gallon per 1000 sq ft. which once again is in the range.I tried to be as even as possible with a fan type wand on a backpack. Not sure how its gonna turn out but its on.
I sprayed my front at the same time with ferromec and I am gonna give that a chance to green heavily for a week and then if the Embark works in the back I will spray the front. They say some yellowing of the turf is common and a hit of ferromec prior to Embark helps. So today is May 15 and I will watch the results.
The back lawn is about 3-3.5 inches right now and I am gonna cut it probably Thursday. I'll see if the stuff works and get back to you.
On top of that I went and mixed up an edging solution of 4oz per gallon with surfactant and dye and sprayed all my edges. I hate trimming and if this cuts that down it will be worth the 50 bucks for the gallon.

The back lawn is a cool blue color from the dye.

Anyone have any experiences with the stuff?
Old 05-15-2004, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fun Test

What kind of dye do you use ?
I've been using Blazon , very expensive .
Old 05-15-2004, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
I believe the primo and cutless work better on turfgrass, but embark was used for poa anna seedhead reduction
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 05-16-2004, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Embark was one of the early versions of PGR's. The effect it produced was similiar to grass that goes dormant from heat stress in the summer. Personally, I would not use it as there are better PGR's on the market that do not yellow the turf. As mentioned by TimTurf, Primo is King along with Cutless.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 05-16-2004, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Something to keep in mind with any of the pgr's is you limit the plants ability to bounce back and recover from normal stress ( mowing walking)
in addition if you have a poly stand pgr's work on some varieties, and not at all on others.

And embark is the worst of the bunch. Good luck, i would rather mow & trim and have healthy turf.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using Primo Maxx for a while now and it works awesome. I have used embark on shrubs (mixed with iron) with good results in the past .
Primo works a little differently, therefore making it a better pgr for turf. It works by stopping cell elongation, not shutting down the whole plant. In doing this, it still allows the plant to uptake nutrients and grow just not on top. This actually makes for a healthier plant and reduces stress because all of the growth is out (tillering in fescue) and down (roots).
It is a little more expensive ,but definitly worth the money to me!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Shawn -

What have you been using your Primo on? Whole yards or just around the edges for less trimming time?

I've been going to use it at the schools that I maintain for the fencing, but it frigging keeps raining each week while I'm there.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is their a difference on the type of grass? I am in cool season turf and I sprayed it on May 8. The grass was already cut once and had grown to almost needing it again. At 4 days past I am seeing no yellowing (did not spray ferromec on this test plot).

I am wondering what is the duration for the uptake and when did you notice yellowing after you applied it?
Now the front lawn was sprayed with ferromec but no Embark and I notice a real green up happening there.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A pic after spraying. I cut it 4 days later and now its even. The pics were taken in the evening so they are a little shaded. I do notice that the lawn is not growing as fast as the untreated front but the color is a lighter green also.
I'm thinking the Ferromec and Embark mix is the ticket but I will keep you informed.
Attached Images