Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2004, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

ID this grass?

I've got this grass growing in a yard I treat, but I guess I'm not sure what it is now. Always been mowed at 2.5 and is seeding out each time. Any suggestions on what it is exactly and should anything be done about it?
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2004, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the picture is blurry, but it kinda looks like dallisgrass
Old 05-16-2004, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Ryegrass is seeding at this time of year. May just be that.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had a guy call me the other day all frantic about weeds in his yard. I got there and it was the same thing your seeing, it's seed head (fescue) and will die out in a few weeks with the hot weather.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dallisghrass is my guess
Old 05-16-2004, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

it is natural for all living things to reproduce. Grass plants are no different. What are you are observing is the grass plant going to seed. For most northern grass types anyway this occurs in mid to late May. The plant sends up a stalk from which the seedhead imminates. This process puts a fair amount of stress on the grass since it expends alot of energy to do this natural fuction. After mowing the seedhead is cut off leaving this "stalk" - this is referred to as stemming. The slalk will die off leaving a yellowish appearance to turf.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry about the poor quality photo! This lawn is supposed to be all bluegrass, as are the rest in the neighborhood. This lawn hadn't been well taken care of in past years and a new sprinkler system was put in last fall. Only reason I'm asking is I thought it was bluegrass however none of the other neighbors yards are seeding out like this and they're growing much faster between mowings, some are 3.5-4 by the time they're cut every week. Will this "come around" with continued fertilizer and proper watering? Is the seeding out at low heights due to poor quality soil and/or plant health? Top soil is not too bad, but about 1.5-2 inches down is heavy clay soil. Recommendations???
Old 05-16-2004, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Reccomendation is to just wait it out. It's a naturally occurring function that won't last all that long. Kinda interesting though how many different opinions about what kind of grass it is. You should really look up the physical characteristics of the grasses in your area and try to ID it yourself so you know in the future.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ckelly
Sorry about the poor quality photo! This lawn is supposed to be all bluegrass, as are the rest in the neighborhood. This lawn hadn't been well taken care of in past years and a new sprinkler system was put in last fall. Only reason I'm asking is I thought it was bluegrass however none of the other neighbors yards are seeding out like this and they're growing much faster between mowings, some are 3.5-4 by the time they're cut every week. Will this "come around" with continued fertilizer and proper watering? Is the seeding out at low heights due to poor quality soil and/or plant health? Top soil is not too bad, but about 1.5-2 inches down is heavy clay soil. Recommendations???
I believe blue grass is the only one that has a single vertical crease or stripe going down the center of the leaf and the rest of the blade is smooth, this will tell you at least if this is Bluegrass or not.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

We've got alot of that in some of our neighborhoods here in WI. We haven't taken it to a horticulture expert yet, but we're convinced that it's a "rough bluegrass". We cut all the way down to 2" and still cant get it below the seed head in some areas.
We don't like it due to the fact that it has a very hard and wirey single stalk. Most of the manicured lawns up here really don't want it. Interesting to note that to a "T" they all say that they overseed with a sunny grass mixture they buy at the local big box retail outlet. Gives me a very strong case for overseeding with professional quality grass seed.
I would love to get a 100% ID on this grass.