Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2000, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I am thinking of buying a push sprayer. You don,t see many of them. Can anyone offer advice on brands and how well they perform?
Old 01-20-2000, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of sprayer are you referring to? The grounds wheelies that pump when the wheel turn, or and electric powered sprayer?<p>And what procedures are you intending to use it for?<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-21-2000, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Referring to the type that spray as the wheels turn to power them. It will be used on smaller lawns of 10,000 sq. ft or less and usedon grass areas near beds. I have a backpack and a 55 gallon unit that runs off pto. One is too small the other too big for small lawns.
Old 01-21-2000, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Morning Tim. Haven't used one myself, but have heard that they are not too consistent in coverage. Have you considered a Herbi? Check out http://www.bubco.com/micron.html. Only problem is that many chemicals will not work in CDA application. Most Timec products, Roundup and Riverdale herbicides that I have used are labeled for Herbi. Post here or email me if you have any questions about Herbi operation.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN
Old 01-21-2000, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not consider the Perma-Green unit that attaches to your fertilizer spreader? Covers 15,000 Sq. Ft. and costs just $350.00. You can apply herbicide when fertilizing in 1 step.<p>We've got them and they work as adverised.
Old 01-23-2000, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

we use two greens wheelie i like them. they cost about 500+ dollars and are worth it .ours are the ten gal. units. and we donot fill them up all the way. we carry 8 five gal. plastic containers with water and mix at each job. useing a large syring to draw the chem. out of the pesticide container. we built a rack that fits in our reese hitch that holds our spreader and sprayer.<br>the company that makes them is wheel spray corp. 414-646-8640. we only use it for property that need complete spraying (broadleaf weed control, were there is a lot of weeds) acclam,fungicide applications. spot spraying we use 1 qt. hand sprayer.we never tryed pre-m or fertilizer in the sprayer. we use granular. hope this helps.<p>anthony grelli new jersey<br>
Old 01-23-2000, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

lazer tell me more about perma green sprayer<br>thanks anthony.
Old 01-23-2000, 10:26 AM
Banned

I'm not experienced with a wide range of pre emergents. What do some of you use for spray apps? I know Lesco, or a any number of others would help me. However, people in the field might be more in touch with some of the plusses and minuses of each. <p>Also, why don't you guys mix ferts and pre emergents or other herbicides when you spray rather than use granular and spray at the same time? Obviously you must find some benefit with that method?<p>John<p>----------<br>http://www.delphi.com/lawn/start<br>Professional Lawncare Maintenance Contractor's Forum <br>
Old 01-23-2000, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

John,<br>I have used Surflan in the past but changed over to Lesco's PreM last season. It seemed to do as well as the Surflan but it cost much less.($150 a case vs $280)<br>It all depends on the time of the year and condition of the lawns, but I will mix post emergence herbicide, pre-em, urea as a source of N along with potash for the source of K and just for good measure, I may throw in a little Iron, in the spray tank. I can see if you have consistantly windy conditions that you would want to use a granular pre-em product, but that isn't a big problem here.<br>Hey, I would like to know more about the Perma Green unit also. Always looking for a better way to do things. Looked at a unit called ProMax, that was built on a Walker chassis, has a boom sprayer, chemlawn gun and a electric spreader up front. Looks really neat, just cost big $$$.<br>Neil
Old 01-24-2000, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Retro67,<p>The advantages of using a granular fertiizer/liquid weed control and applying at the same time:<p>1.) Granular offers more options in fertilizer. You cannot cost-effectively have a slow-release liquid fertilizer. No SCU or PSCU. You get better fertilizer with granular.<p>2.) A liquid fertilizer requires a great deal of water, large spray tanks, and additional loading equipment.<p>3.) Liquid fertilizer cannot be applied on hot days due to burn potential, limiting your service window.<p>4.) When mixing all your chemicals into your fertilizer, you cannot custom treat each lawn.<p>5.) When doing the granular/liquid method, you can fertilize only w/o spraying weeds if desired, resulting im better IPM practices and saving money.<p>6.) You can custom adjust your spreader to apply various rates of fertilizer depending on soil/grass type w/o messing up your herbicide mixture.<p>7.) You can switch fertilizer formulations from lawn to lawn. Pre-M to SCU to starter, etc., depending on lawn requirements.<p>8.) It gives your tech more options while on each site, giving you better results, saving wasted materials, and allowing your company to be more environmentally responsible by not applying unneeded pesticides.<p>just my thoughts,<br>Carl