Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2000, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anybody tried to install diamond plate as flooring or along the rocker panel in a K20 for protection. Thought about riveting some of it to the floor on top of dynamat for easy cleanout with a water hose.
Old 12-11-2000, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't do it on top of Dynamat if you plan on hosing it out regularly. Water will find a way to get under the diamond plate and start rusting. I'd bet that the Dynamat would retain water for a while after the rest of the truck dries out.

First, I would take care of any rust that you might have, then use an undercoating or liquid bedliner- something that would seal the metal to keep water away, then lay down the plating.

One word of warning- if you are putting the plating in to cover a big rust hole, DON'T. I've had lots of friends do all sorts of creative things to cover a hole- wood, speed limit signs, etc. Sooner or later the rust hole gets bigger and that stuff will fall out.
Old 12-12-2000, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

No the floor isnt rusted but the vinyl is all torn and cracked so I was trying to think of an inmnovative way to cover the floor. The diamond plate seemed like an easy solution. I thought of the dynamat to possibly deaden road noises but like you I thought about the water getting in it and staying wet. I may just go with the diamond plate and dynamat and just stick with good old vaccuming. I think with just diamond plate water would get under it anyhow and go back to rusting the floorboards.