Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2004, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

PG weed control in New England

Hey guys, been spraying confront out of my pg's now for serveral years, price is killing me this year($113 gallon ), maybe cause all the weeds present, however I just got a bottle of Bentgrass select from lesco today ($37 a gallon ). Anyone have any experince with this stuff or someone told me to switch to trimec classic, havent read the label yet to check rates, maybe its cheaper just because it goes down alot heavier, just looking for a little imput.

BTW, finshed rd 1 today.....yea.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

always feels good to finish a round, dont it??

we have used lesco's bentgrass selective. very low 2,4-D. But maybe thats what you prefer since you been using confront. As i recall the high end rate on bentgrass selective is 2ozs/1000 where the trimec is 1.5ozs/1000

In my opinion trimec is a better product because of the higher amount of 2,4-D (i am a big fan of 2,4-D). Lesco's 3 Way selective is pretty much the same as trimec.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I am having trouble telling the difference between bent and annual blue. Presently, since the weather is warming up. the grass is turning yellow (over 65 F) but it does have seed heads. This is leading me to annual blue. Is there a way to rid the lawn of the annual blue and leave the rest. The lawn is a majority of Rebel Jr. I live in southern Connecticut near Bridgeport.
Thank you.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sgoalie, try applying a pre-emergent product in the fall, that should help somewhat control annual blue for next season
Old 05-19-2004, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I re-read both labels today, I am mixing confront confront at .75 oz per K, and bentgrass select is recommended at 1-2oz per k. Ill try 1.5

So bent select is applied at a higher rate, but considering the price difference, its still way cheaper to use bent select. Ill try it and let you all know how it works.

confront= $.88per oz
bent select= $.30per oz

I like using "non- restricted" use materials, I always tell customers what I use you can buy, I know once certain levels of 2,4-d levels are at a certain rate it becomes restricted.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Cormier

I like using "non- restricted" use materials, I always tell customers what I use you can buy, I know once certain levels of 2,4-d levels are at a certain rate it becomes restricted.
I agree about telling folks they can buy what we apply, especially with the environmentalist out there.
Little bit of splitting hairs here though. True that trimec or lesco's 3 way is resticted use, but thats because of the consentration of the product in the container. Homeowner can buy the same exact products at wal-mart garden centers but it just wont be as concentrated (so they will need to pour in more product for results)
Kind of tit-for-tat i know.
I just love the quicker results you get with 2,4-D
Old 05-22-2004, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just figured it out lawnservice,