Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-19-2004, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Picking which neighorhood to post

Ok which neighborhood is going to pick me up more customers?

Older people or rich people?

The reason that i'm asking is that i have a map grip showing the average age in my town. Also income level. I'm guessing that the richer population is going to want more of a professional company doing their yard (i'm just in my impala with the basic equipment)
Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I, started looking five miles out from where i live, via the tax records. Then ten miles out once againg with the tax records, finaly20 miles out with the tax records, these all got mailings which i found 3 customers.

Then i contacted some of my friends that are general contractors and asked them how your business going 2 of 3 came back and said that the were so busy, that their sunday was spent getting ready for next monday, then they came on board.

The contractors work in tree work and irrigation so we exchanged cards, now when i go to a house i look at the trees,& the irrigation and give their names out.

They intern , when on the job sites pass out my cards, so hopefuly they will start sending me business.

Commerical accounts i just cold call on fridays, like always, just being back in sales , but this time it totaly directed back to me.:alien:
Old 05-19-2004, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi metomeya,

You could always do a sample with both groups and see which respond better to your flyers. Then target that group more.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New homes, homes for sale, older folk, larger yards for a person with a 21 to do, developments.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Member

All Wrong....

The first mistake you can make is by deciding to go for rich or poor. Another words; by targeting areas where homes are over $300,000 you will loose potential prospects. I guess the real question is how fast do you want to grow.

Let me say this first. My boss back when I was in the Mortgage Industry, cleared nearly 1,000,000 in take salary. He had a $650,000 house, and wouldn't buy cheese on a sandwich because it cost $0.30. The guy in the $150,000 might be there because he is wanting to have extra play money. The point is you will come across tight wides in either targeted audience you come across.

If you read any of my prior posts, you'll remember I worked for a very large fertilizing company. As I moved up in the company I learned more about there marketing efforts. We targeted the bigger cities earlier in the year so competition wouldn't reach them first, then went for small cities. It didn't matter whether we were in the $1,000,000 neighborhood or the $50,000 neighborhood, we went there to grow our client base.

In all honesty your targeted audience should be the following:

- A homeowner above 23 years of age male or female
- Annual Income of $30,000 or more
- Between 10,000 -25,000 debt
- Located in a SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING UNIT

Hope this information helps you determine and perhaps rethink your marketing efforts to better an enable your company to benefit from all markets.

Good Luck...
Mike O.

PS: Remember the yard sizes between the rich and poor remain close to the same in most areas!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a general guide line I've found that the people with the money didn't get it because they were spending all over the place. They got rich by pinching pennies. The average home owner wants to look like they have more than they do so they will spend more on appearances. Obviously there is a lot of leeway in there but thats what I have found.