Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2004, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Including Price on Flyers?

I've decided to make another batch of flyers and go door to door and see if I can't pick up some more accounts. I've searched the archives and noticed where a lot of people have a place on the flyer where they put the price to service that property. I'm looking for any and all ideas to make my flyers effective. My last attempt at flyers back in February apparently wasn't that effective. Since then I lost all the files on my pc and unfortunately I don't have my old flyer saved on disk. This may be a good thing seeing the minimal response I recieved from that batch anyway. If I went the route of putting the price on them that would mean that I would have to distribute them all myself, becasue I definitely don't have anyone that I trust enough to put bids on the flyers without me there. This isn't a big deal, I will just have to work my schedule around it rather than pay someone like I did before to put them out.

I guess what I wanted to know is what kind of response have those of you that did this have? I could see where it would be nice for consumer to be able to look at the flyer and see a price immediately. My main concerns are homes with fenced in back yards and the time it will take to distribute in this manner. Thanks for any input.

-Brandon
Old 05-22-2004, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a 1000 door hangers. I will use them in areas that I need to fill in the route to be more efficient. They say "We are currently providing quaility lawn care in your neighborhood. Mow, edge, and trim would be _______ per visit." Other services include......
Old 05-22-2004, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a seperate flyer made up with a spot for a price. I only use them when I want to target specific neighborhoods, such as when I land an account in a nice subdivision I will mail out these flyers with a very competitive quote on them to try and gain market share and lose windshield time. I've got one small neighborhood which is basically 6 cul-de-sacs in a circular formation spaced around one large circular grassy common area where I've landed 20 of the 30 houses and it grosses $600 per mow for me. I can do them for $30, but if I was quoting just one individual property there I would price it at $40. It's my favorite day of the week, as there's virtually no drive time, the Z never even gets put back on the trailer until we're done.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Put something to the effect of " a curbside estimate to cut your lawn weekly is _$______, based on what I perceive to be your property boundaries. This includes cut, trim and blowing off driveways and walkways." This gives you some wiggle room to change the price in case you couldnt see the whole back yard and under bid.
Putting the price on there makes it easier for the customer...they are lazy and dont want to call to find out how much it will cost. So you just saved them that step in the process.
Another good thing is that you can skip the houses you dont want to do and just target the houses/lawns that you want. Good luck.

Ford F-350, Toro 60" ZTR, Scag 52" w/b w/velke, Bunton 48" w/b, Shindaiwa Trimmer,
Red Max Blower, 6X16 open trailer
Old 05-24-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi BrandonH,

Many of our clients prefer having a spot to write in a price. You can see some of our previous flyer designs and maybe they will inspire you.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I used a flyer that had a spot for a TREATMENT PRICE.

Sometimes I ballparked them in... or sometimes (while walking)
I would write "call today for pre-season pricing" or
"extending pre-season pricing until June 15th"

Leaving a price or not hasn't really made any difference to me at least.

It's more about showing an urgency to call or a good coupon!

50% Spring Aerations (with a 5 treatment program or if you get on our weekly mowing schedule)

People like to buy PLANS or PROGRAMS not a single price.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always put the lowest price that I can do, "For example, lawn maintenance starting at only $25." It gets them to call, ever though 9 times out of 10 their price will be higher
Old 05-25-2004, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Brandon,

I did the same thing you are talking about, and had great success. I'll attach my door hanger design to show you what I used. You can pretty much see the entire yard as you are walking up to it from the last house, (or at least in our area you can) so estimating shouldn't be too much of a problem. I will use these mainly in spring and fall, to pick up aerating jobs, as well as weekly mowing, and simply name recognition.

Hope they help
Rob
Attached Files
File Type: doc spring door hangers 3.doc (31.5 KB, 144 views)
Old 05-25-2004, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

where do you get door hangers, and can you print them out of a regular ink jet printer? Or is it a job that someone has to print off for you?

trevor
Old 05-26-2004, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Trevor,
I personally have worked at a print shop for over 10 years, so I print them up myself. But there are a lot of threads on where to buy them to print yourself, or have them done for real good prices. Lots of people have posted the pros/cons of ordering and making them on their own.
Rob