Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 05-24-2004, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Balancing Question

Hello Magnamatic!

I'm no physics eXpert so mabe you can help me out here....The blades in this pic are not fiXed to the disc hence the plastic clamps...Now if I were take off that black clamp on the bottom blade and affix it to the other side of the blade on top so there was a clamp of equal weight on both sides of that blade could I balance this configuration accurately or is the top blade going to cause too much disruption?....I Know there's Too Much Caked Grass but this is just a hypothetical for now...

Also there's a zerk on the 8000 that's not mentioned in the manual...when to grease?
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2004, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: Balancing Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Hello Magnamatic!

I'm no physics eXpert so mabe you can help me out here....The blades in this pic are not fiXed to the disc hence the plastic clamps...Now if I were take off that black clamp on the bottom blade and affix it to the other side of the blade on top so there was a clamp of equal weight on both sides of that blade could I balance this configuration accurately or is the top blade going to cause too much disruption?....I Know there's Too Much Caked Grass but this is just a hypothetical for now...

Also there's a zerk on the 8000 that's not mentioned in the manual...when to grease?
NO, No and No. You cannot balance the 4 blades with all blades on. You can balance each set of two though, separately.
Unless the "center of mass" (C.G.) of each blade runs directly though the center of each blade, and the hole for each blade is exactly though this same center, you cannot blade the system as a whole. Furthermore, each blade must be exactly 90 degress apart from each other, or again it will not balance correct.
DP
Old 05-28-2004, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Meg-Mo

I thought I read somewhere here that you shouldn't remove the blades from the Meg-Mo setup as the nuts are held on with Loc-Tite. It was mentioned to sharpen all as one.

I know that doesn't answer the question of how to balance but I am curious too.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: Meg-Mo

Quote:
Originally posted by HayBay
I thought I read somewhere here that you shouldn't remove the blades from the Meg-Mo setup as the nuts are held on with Loc-Tite. It was mentioned to sharpen all as one.

I know that doesn't answer the question of how to balance but I am curious too.
Since you're in Canada, how's your Friend "Fareway Lawncare", plus maybe he can answer your question.....
Part-time Pete
Old 05-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Sponsor

Hello,

I just wanted to pop in a let you know that we are gathering the information for your post, and will answer soon.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 05-28-2004, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

HayBay..You can Remove the Knives as long as you Apply Red Loctite when reataching...
Old 05-28-2004, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

info

Thanks Fareway,

Let me know where you purchased those blades (if you got them on the Canadian Side) if you dont mind.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ordered them Directly from Meg-Mo...Also Ordered lots of eXtra knives @ like $4 a Pop...With OEM Blade prices nearing $30 from Dealer & Aftermarkets losing the quality Sweepstakes they actually won't cost much more than buying a bunch of OEM's & should Last longer because of the Harder Steel....

you don't have to take the knife off to sharpen.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2004, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blades and Balancer

I know we are going a bit off topic here but I will try and fit that into the magnamatic theme.

Fareway, YOu ever hear of Vickers Marketing in Guelph?

THey are a Knockoff of the OEM's it looks like. I paid $22.00 per hi-lift blade for 12 of them. I have set up doubles on my 54" and I feel like I am going to fly away. They cut pretty nice. The Foley works well sharpening them.

I did talk with Gerd about ordering a Magnamatic and he refered me to an Alberta Dealer, I called and talked with a salesman at the Golf Club (I think It was a Golf Club). He then said I would receive a call back from the guy who ships the magnamatic. 3 weeks of waiting for a return call later I put my order in for the Foley.

Fareway, You ever deal with Neil at WE Enterprises, nice guy he used to work at Current Power as a MEchanic.

I have some business (not Lawn Care) in Streetsville, You know that area at all?

Gerd (Magnamatic), Did YOu get my email for the Balancer? I thought we could try shipping direct to me.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Neils's a Great Guy...Very Knowledgeable...FiXes stuff on the Spot & tweaked all my Suzuki Prolines to 3600RPM's Free of Charge...Best guy I've dealt w/at any Dealership which is why WE won my buisiness....I used to go to Kooy Bros.....

Ordered the Mag directly from Mag.