Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2004, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

pricing in small town

I have 20 hp riding mower, 2 high end weedeaters/brushcutters, Blower, hedge tirmmers, chainsaws, etc.. I work solo. I am very efficient and work extremely fast. I do not take breaks, etc.. Meaning, I work very hard so people are getting 100 percent effort. 99% of customers are happy with my work. I do anything that a customer needs usually from basic lawn care to cutting down and disposing of brush and debris. I admit I am not experienced in fertililzers, etc. but do well in the cutting, trimming, blowing, cleanup aspects. I am having trouble pricing. I am not to the point yet of bidding by job. But a lawn maintenance person in my town is working for $25/hour and some others much less. I am fully insured and bonded. I carry full coverage on my vehicles. With what you have read here, what would be an approximate per hour charge for my services. I was charging 45/hour for rider mower, 35/hour for weedeating and blowing, and around 20/hr. for the cleanup. Some properties in my town are difficult to manage. Lots of under brush, rocks, old fence wires, mole holes, ditches, etc.. Basically not the typical get the mower out, mow and leave. thanks for info.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't tell people your price per hour. instead, price out the job by figuring out how many hours it will take you at a rate in your head. People respond much better to that
Old 05-27-2004, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second what chevy said. I never tell people what I charge per hour because no one wants to pay $60/hr to have their lawn mowed. But $25 for a 15 to 20 minunte mowing is accectable. Go figure.

I also figure my costs at the same $/hr for everything. Mowing, weedeating, cleanup its all the same other wise why do any of the others that are not making the same amount of money?

Old 05-30-2004, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there are two methods to this: every equipment has different prices per hour because of efficiency, or every equipment has the same price because you need to make that no matter what per hour.

It's just trial and error. FInd out what works the best and go with that.