Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-18-2015, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

My neighbor just dumped a bunch of "his" tree limbs in my yard, is that cool?

The offending tree is rooted in my yard, and I've cleaned up all the limbs that have fallen on my side of his fence. I probably would have picked up the rest, but I didn't want to trespass in his yard by jumping his fence to do it. I noticed yesterday that he threw a bunch of branches and logs over the fence into my yard, that fell in his yard, apparently from "my" tree.

It's not a big deal, and I have much better things to worry about, but I just wanted to get an idea on what the normal policies are regarding this type of thing, for the future. I kind of wish he would have talked to me or something, but he just expects me to clean up "his" mess.

I know that neighbors have the right to trim any portion of a tree that overhangs their property line, but I wouldn't think they should then dump those trimmings into my yard. If they don't like "my" tree encroaching over their property line, they can take care of it, but forcing me to dump "their" trash doesn't seem very neighborly.

What would YOU do? Just clean up the mess and not say anything to avoid any confrontation? That's what I'm planning to do, since I have a truck and a chainsaw. I just wanted to get the internet's opinion about this type of thing - mostly just curious. We've never talked before - my neighbors are all sketchy around here.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your aledging to be professional in this business. If the tree is on your property and overhangs on any other property's it is your responsibility to at least communicate with your neighbors and offer to trim back any over hanging material. In spite of the fact that you say you have much better things to worry about I suspect your neighbors were just sending you a memo. Learn to better communicate with your neighbors in advance of having completely avoidable problems arise. No one to blame except yourself.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-18-2015, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no that's not cool
2012 18 HP Billy Goat Loader Tow Behind
2015 52" Ferris 2100
2015 52" Husqvarna Zero Turn
2015 Fisher 8' X Blade
2010 9' Western Plow
2 33" Sutech
3 21" Mowers
3 Echo Trimmer
3 Echo Leaf Blower
2 Echo Edger
2 Echo Hedge Trimmer
Echo 18" Chain Saw
Echo Backpack Sprayer

HIC Licensed
Workers Comp & Unemployment
Old 07-18-2015, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the others. It is probably best to have a friendly visit with the guy and try to work something out. Or, when cleaning up your side just catch the few limbs across the fence. Just throwing the limbs across onto your side isn't cool though.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My neighbors tree fell into my yard. He didn't do anything about it. I cut it up and put it on the curb in front of his house, for the city to pick up. He came over and ask why I put the limbs in his front yard. I told him that they were from his fallen tree and that I didn't want the limbs to damage my lovely lawn. His lawn is weeds. He acted like he didn't notice that his tree was down.
We have become good friends. :-)
Old 07-18-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Your aledging to be professional in this business. If the tree is on your property and overhangs on any other property's it is your responsibility to at least communicate with your neighbors and offer to trim back any over hanging material. In spite of the fact that you say you have much better things to worry about I suspect your neighbors were just sending you a memo. Learn to better communicate with your neighbors in advance of having completely avoidable problems arise. No one to blame except yourself.
easy-lift guy
This is the first I have heard of this rule
Old 07-18-2015, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the tree an ash?

Just wondered because I'm in your region and I've been picking up ash "debris" from a lot of lawns for some time now, thanks to the ash borer. Some trees on my accounts themselves, other trees on neighboring property lines that drop my way. It does get old.

If it's not an ash/or other dying tree and just some normal storm damage, that's a little different, and should be talked out.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do you have a dog?

I could tell you where to throw the poo...

Old 07-18-2015, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not cool...
Old 07-18-2015, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This is the first I have heard of this rule
Seeming confused is silly. How about common sense or maybe just communicating with the neighbor in the first place. The OP already stated that he was to busy to be worried about such things. When trees or shrubs intersect known boundary lines finding out how things are handled when one moves into a new neighborhood is one of the first things to consider, especially if your in the Landscape maintenance business. Treat the encounter as a learning experience or whine about something not being cool because your tree happens to be on your neighbors properties. I believe the neighbor has already made the first move. Having shrubs or trees crossing boundary lines is not only a maintanance problem but can be a libability problem as well. How the OP decides to handle the situation remains to be commented on.
easy-lift guy