The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Battery powered hand helds, any good?

Anyone have experience with an electric string trimmer, blower, chainsaw; etc? All the brands are coming out with a line and I wouldn't mind getting rid of gas if they work.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2015, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo string trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2015, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm interested too. DeWalt makes some with large batteries, but I think they take smaller gauge string for their trimmers . . . Might have to add a solar system to the trailer for a way to charge 'em while driving around. I doubt they'd last all day. With gas, you know you won't run out of power.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

IF I HAVE SEEN THIS TYPE OF THREAD ONCE IN SIX MONTHS I HAVE SEEN IT 5 TIMES. HERE'S A CLUE, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY BUYING THIS TECHNOLOGY. IT IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME AND MAY NOT BE FOR MANY YEARS TO COME IF AT ALL. WHY DO YOU THINK THE BOX STORES ARE SELLING THE PRODUCTS ON END CAPS JUST LOOKING FOR SUCKERS, I MEAN CUSTOMERS TO INVEST HARD EARNED CASH FOR WHAT KIND OF RESULTS?. IT WOULD BE REALLY NICE IF MEMBERS WOULD TAKE THE TIME TO REVIEW EXISTING THREADS BASED ON SUBJECT MATTER LIKE THIS IN ADVANCE. YES THERE WILL BE MEMBERS THAT DISAGREE AND 3 OR 4 THAT WILL CLAIM THEY DO USE THIS TECHNOLOGY COMMERCIALLY. IF THAT WAS TRUE, AND I KNOW IT IS NOT HOW COME EXISTING TECHNOLOGY IS STILL AROUND AND CONTINUING TO MANUFACTURER QUALITY PRODUCTS WITH RELATIVELY LOW UP FRONT COST AND REASONABLE RELIABILITY?.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
SCREAMING AND YELLING IN ALL CAPS, BEING RUDE AND ANNOYING AND COMPLETELY UNHELPFUL
Wow, what got into your grapenuts, or are you always a royal troll? I'm guessing the latter.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
IF I HAVE SEEN THIS TYPE OF THREAD ONCE IN SIX MONTHS I HAVE SEEN IT 5 TIMES. HERE'S A CLUE, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY BUYING THIS TECHNOLOGY. IT IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME AND MAY NOT BE FOR MANY YEARS TO COME IF AT ALL. WHY DO YOU THINK THE BOX STORES ARE SELLING THE PRODUCTS ON END CAPS JUST LOOKING FOR SUCKERS, I MEAN CUSTOMERS TO INVEST HARD EARNED CASH FOR WHAT KIND OF RESULTS?. IT WOULD BE REALLY NICE IF MEMBERS WOULD TAKE THE TIME TO REVIEW EXISTING THREADS BASED ON SUBJECT MATTER LIKE THIS IN ADVANCE. YES THERE WILL BE MEMBERS THAT DISAGREE AND 3 OR 4 THAT WILL CLAIM THEY DO USE THIS TECHNOLOGY COMMERCIALLY. IF THAT WAS TRUE, AND I KNOW IT IS NOT HOW COME EXISTING TECHNOLOGY IS STILL AROUND AND CONTINUING TO MANUFACTURER QUALITY PRODUCTS WITH RELATIVELY LOW UP FRONT COST AND REASONABLE RELIABILITY?.
easy-lift guy
The reason that "old" technology is still thriving is because of older people set in their ways who are afraid to try new things. I ran into a small LCO today while out treating lawns today, and I saw the damnedest thing. All of his handhelds were battery powered. He does 100 or so small lawns in a retirement community with the average lawn being about 5k sq ft. I asked him how he liked them and he said he'll never go back to gas powered handhelds again. Granted, this is the same guy who told me last summer that all of my lawns were so green because an asteroid passed close to earth over the winter and the iron dust from it fell through the atmosphere and greened up all the lawns.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKrome View Post
Wow, what got into your grapenuts, or are you always a royal troll? I'm guessing the latter.
But homeowner junk, cry the blues to yourself and anyone else that cares to listen. Companies need your money so like I have said before PT Barnum would be proud.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2015, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabisnes View Post
The reason that "old" technology is still thriving is because of older people set in their ways who are afraid to try new things. I ran into a small LCO today while out treating lawns today, and I saw the damnedest thing. All of his handhelds were battery powered. He does 100 or so small lawns in a retirement community with the average lawn being about 5k sq ft. I asked him how he liked them and he said he'll never go back to gas powered handhelds again. Granted, this is the same guy who told me last summer that all of my lawns were so green because an asteroid passed close to earth over the winter and the iron dust from it fell through the atmosphere and greened up all the lawns.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Electric motors are almost NO maintenance compared to gas, especially some of these brushless offerings. Li-Ion technology is improving all the time and getting cheaper everyday as well. Some of these Manganese and Nickel chemistries (IMR and INR, as opposed to ICR) can handle 35C draws with some tiny 3.7V cells able to pump out 50A without any problem - and safe, without worry of exploding. They're also very lightweight.

I'm very seriously considering going all electric/cordless, as I'm just starting out and don't have any of these tools yet. $600 for a Stihl FS250R, or become an "early adopter" of this new tech for less money. . . I'm leaning towards this new tech.

I need to buy a blower and a trimmer like NOW, so I'm researching this stuff like crazy.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using some battery powered equipment for a year now. It is good for light duty jobs. Not as fast as gas powered equipment, but it has enough good points that I've thrown the gas push mower and trimmer off the truck. Still have a back up combi unit if I run the trimmer battery down. Most times I reach for the electric stuff first. I'm sold on it.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My 2 year old FS90R is starting to act up - taking 5-6 pulls and stalling out if the throttle is released. Same as my first one did at about the same time frame. I assume it needs the valves adjusted.

I wonder how long a cordless Echo trimmer will go before needing the valves adjusted? Oh, wait.

I'm also getting tired of the tingling hand syndrome after running it.
How much do those cordless units vibrate? That's what I thought.

I'm "this close" to picking up an Echo cordless and just using the Stihl for heavy stuff or as a backup for when the batteries run down.

I was in Home Depot the other day and while the Echo gas display was unchanged, they have revamped the display for the remaining trimmers with CORDLESS equipment taking at least 3/4 of the space. The gas stuff is now all the way at the end. This is the future - like it or not.
For light homeowner use, it just makes SO much more sense than buying a craptastic box store gas trimmer that will die within a year or two.

It's not as clear cut for commercial use, and I don't see these as being ready for the big time yet - not by a long shot, BUT that Echo unit is pretty close, and I think it will work just fine for my typical daily use on weekly, well-maintained lawns. If it had been packaged with TWO batteries, I'd have already purchased one.