Register free!

Old 06-08-2004, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Angry I Can't Believe Nobody Picks Weeds?

SOMEBODY PLEASE RESPOND TO THE DANDILION THREAD I POSTED.
THANKS, DON
Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey there,

You seem a little testy. maybe you could go get some frsutrations out on those dandelions

Most peopledon't pull weeds because no one can afford to pay us to pull weeds AND the professional and responsible use of pesticides is not a problem.

I do pull weeds in beds occaasionally and do carry a weed puller with me that looks like a screwdriver with a notchat the end -- helps me get the weeds with a deep taprooof. Generally -- i don;t worry about getting the whole root though. I f I get a reall bad bed I go a head and pull everthing as good as I can and then come back in two weeks and spray R-up on anything that decided it had the will to survicve.

I would have to triple my application price or even more if I was to start hand pulling weeds.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 06-10-2004, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: I Can't Believe Nobody Picks Weeds?

Quote:
Originally posted by cenlo
SOMEBODY PLEASE RESPOND TO THE DANDILION THREAD I POSTED.
THANKS, DON
LOL!!! What are you getting frusterated about??
Old 06-10-2004, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not testy, I just know the answeres are available on this site. (Just trying to kickstart a response). I am chemical and pesticide free and my pricing starts at $435.00/ 2500 ft2. I add xtra to remove weeds. I have to pull the weeds manuallly as there is no alternative other than the vinegar. Cgm is pre-em. so its not going to work and the weeds are perenials. (Tryusing the Fiskars powerjaws weeder, way faster than vinager and no brown patches!)
Old 06-15-2004, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sympathise with you and also have a pesticide free business. Its quite difficult to take a lawn which has already gone to heck and turn it around without pesticides. It does take some time. You simply cannot sell the kind of results that the traditional lawn care companies do, bottom line. You cant tell people that they will have no weeds in the first yr, and if you make that promise thinking you will pull all the weeds you are doomed.

I am enjoying your threads, plz keep posting. I have utilized many of the alternatives you are trying with mixed results. I dont use the vinegar in lawns yet because of the little patch of dead grass around the weed. I will start testing C.G.M. next spring and really hope it works. I hope that the only reason everyone doesnt already use it is because of the cost and that people will pay the extra money to reduce pesticide use. I hope my friend who runs a golf course and tested it and says it didnt work is wrong. Do you really not use any (traditional) pesticides? Thats cool. Tell me if you have tried the Infra Red Weeder.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

cenlo, keep up the good work buddy,, every customer i contracted out to you is very impressed with your products and work so far.....
Old 06-17-2004, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if this helps or not but I'm very new to lawn care and am not in the business, but I inherited a lawn where the house was vacant for about 2-3 years. I had to seed like a madman last fall and this spring a had a load of weeds. I tried hand picking them, and it would take hours, but they would either grow back or new ones would pop up. I wanted to be organic, but I broke down and used Stay Green weed killer. One application and ALL of my weeds were gone. I was amazed. I did also use CGM as a pre-emergent. Right now my lawn is virtually weed and crabgrass free. Just need to figure out a way to get rid of the damn FIRE ANTS!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ty Hazy, all experience is welcome here, when did u apply the cgm and and what rate. If you did it early and at the posted 20 lbs per thousand square feet with little impact that is something we need to know as many of us are in the testing stages for this product.

As you discovered it is very dificult to take a poor lawn and make it nice quickly without a pesticide. did u prep at all before overseeding, eg. power rake?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the lawns that are really bad I'm trying two different options. A) Picking 30-50% of existing weeds, then verticut with endophytic grass seed at 5#'s / 1000. After the seeds are 1" in ht(or about 4-6 weeks) I will apply cgm in pellet form at a rate of 20#'s / 1000 and apply again 6 weeks later plus pre-winter 3-1-5 fert. B) Wipe out yard with vinegar, then overseed at 8#'s / 1000 and so on.......................
Not sure which is the better option, I'll keep you posted. I just wish a I new if I should use pellitized cgm or powder?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why is vinegar a better solution than glysophate?

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog