Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2004, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

moral support

Hey everyone. I'm new to this site, and to the lawncare business. A freidn of mine presented the idea to me about a week ago. since then I've been working tirelessly trying to get everything in order. I've only passed out 250 flyer so far, but it seems like my partner is already starting to get discouraged because there have been no calls yet. In his defense, he's paid for all the flyers so far, but 250 flyers aren't all that expensive. I'll be passing out another 300 today. anyway, I was wondering if you guys might have any words of encouragement I could pass on to him, or maybe any advice on jumpstarting the business a little. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 06-10-2004, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't give up!
Every single person on this forum started with 0 customers!
the first one you get will pick you back up. Hang in there, stay professional, don't underbid, and keep your head up.
Research as much as you can on products, services, regulations, taxes, etc. while you have more free time without anyone to mow. Also, keep on passing out flyers, and look into other advertisements.
Maybe talk to some pizza places, and see if they'll staple some flyers to their pizzas as they send them out. they are usually small owned businesses themselves, and lend a hand.
Be creative, and keep at it. The work will start to come, maybe slow this time of year, but keep at it. Plan ahead, and try to market for aerating in the fall if you can. leaf cleanups, trimming bushes, things like that. anything to get your foot in the door.

hope things work out for you guys, and I'll say it before everyone else does, be careful with a partnership, they usually don't work out.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

hey thank twins. I have another question too. I've been sticking flyers in the flags of people's mailboxes. I've heard some people say this is illegal, and other's say it isn't..so I'm still a little unclear on that. I heard it's more effective to attach them to people's doors, but I feel funny about going on peoples property to do this.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Expect 1% - 2% call back rate on passing out fliers.

Keep at it and never give up.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-11-2004, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is illegal to attach to anything on the box including the pole. With that said, they will warn you before they give you a ticket.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Member

how long does it usually take after passing them out to get a response?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes they'll call that same night, other times they'll save your flyer until they need a job done. You just never know. They'll usually call when you least expect it though.

Maybe try passing out flyers on car windows at the supermarket in town, this way you can cover a lot of people, in a short time (cuts out the walking house to house) saturday mornings you can usually catch most people shopping at the store.

Also, do you have signs for your truck? people need to start seeing your name, so they can start to associate it with Lawn Care, and think about giving you a call. the more they see it, the better chance they will call.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

haha, well, unfortunately we don't exactly have a truck yet. we have a friend who will let us borrow one once we start getting calls, and once I actually have money I'll probably buy a truck myself... at that point a truck sign will be pretty high on my to do list. tomorrow we're gonna try to stuff the mower (a standard walk behind) into my taurus and just go up to the houses that need it, and offer to mow then and there for $30 or $35
Old 06-11-2004, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi lucentshadow,

Remember, if it was easy to start, everyone would do it. Keep pushing forwards. You can do anything you want if you set your mind to do it.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

500 flyers now and no response